Honestly- no one wants to go hunting!?What is wrong!

seabiscuit

Visit site
I have been trying to find someone to go with for the boxing day meet I'm doing,family/friends are away and just thought it would be nice to go with somebody. And so I have been asking around and so it seems that not one single person in both Owen's and Cheeko's yards EVER go hunting nor have even BEEN hunting..

So that is 45 horses in Cheekos yard + 5 horses in Owens yard, also asked another large yard where I used to work (another 20 horses)

So the grand total is- 70 horses in my area that nobody wants to hunt on boxing day!!Not because the majority of said owners are all that busy but because of reasons like 'oh he would hurt himself' 'I would never be able to stop him/her' 'nooo I dont like hunting' etc etc etc..

What has the horse world come to? I despair...

Bossanova

Visit site
How weird!!!
We had 5 go out from our yard on Sat, and we only have 17 in!!
My sister and I are def out with the Wilton on boxing day if you wanted to join us, could ask around for a horse for you to borrow if you needed a ride?

jemima

Visit site
What a shame you are so far from us. I'd love my daughter to go (I've nothing to ride atm) and she can't go by herself and it would be just what the horse needs to perk him up and put some excitement in his life. I'm not long back in riding and don't know anyone round here who hunts who I could ask and our local Pony Club don't DO hunting. She's 15 and she'd love to go - we were talking about it today!

EllieBeast

Visit site
Aw, i think i need to pluck up the courage to take my beast out. she has hunted many times, i have just never taken her myself. maybe i need a kick up the arse!

seabiscuit

Visit site
Thank you Boss for the lovely offer! I will definately think about that for sure..! It is just that I had set my heart on going with the berks and bucks draghounds as they are meeeting at Kingsclere which is simply brill for hunting on, really fab old turf for galloping and loads of jumps, have been thinking about this meet all year actually!!
smile.gif
but thank you Boss- I am glad that there are some *proper* horsey people in your area at least!
grin.gif

seabiscuit

Visit site
Aww no!! I would have taken her along for sure!! Definately! I cannot believe that your local pony club do not *do* hunting-it used to be the fundamental part of pony club eduacation and it still should be! *sighs*.Do hope you find someone to go with!!
smile.gif

RachelB

Visit site
Could part of the problem be that people don't understand what hunting is? I certainly don't, all I picture is 50-100 horses galloping about and jumping 4' hedges! I don't know if that is a true picture or not...? Do you get fairly non-jumping hunts? I certainly wouldn't have the guts to go if I thought everyone would be hurtling over huge jumps and I know I'm terrified of anything over 2'3"! I also never go on foot, as I don't know if I should just turn up, where to go, etc...
If anyone else is like me, that could be the reason a lot of people are non-hunters?!

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
Gord we have a stuck up loser brat like that... friend asked her if she wanted go hunting she said "love to but i'm not allowed to take mine... of corse hes far to supria... jumping at very low level bsja
blush.gif
but shes now wants some thing to hunt! Ok if he was worth lot money like over 6k or in british team i would totaly understand! COME BACK TO EATH PEOPLE!!
grin.gif

Bess

Visit site
Why not phone the hunt secretary and see if there's anyone who will chum up with you. It would be a shame not to go if you've got your heart set on it.

lisan

pets.webshots.com
I went to the boxing day one last year and loved it! But I struggle to find people to go with, the yard I am on now stables over 40 horses, and there is only 1 that will come out with me!! She is only 16!

seabiscuit

Visit site
Lol that would be fab but seems that there are no horses that *do* hunting here they are all FAR too *precious* and would all within 5 mins bruise their feet/strain legs/pull back out etc etc etc!!

jemima

Visit site
If the "Chief Instructor" had her way no-one would XC either - far too dangerous! Just been looking at what there might be on in my area and may yet be brave enough to phone and see if there's anyone who would help out and keep an eye on her. Trouble is I know absolutely nothing about it - it was all arranged by the Pony Club when I used to go.

Hope youget sorted with someone to go with and have a brilliant day though!

EllieBeast

Visit site
lol, my horse was born for hunting, and has done alot. i suppose im just worried about brakes etc. im a blooming wimp. shove me at a 3'6" xc course with her any day, it worries me more when there are lots of horses. may have to take theplunge though - horse would love me for it!

seabiscuit

Visit site
Yes I do see exactly where you are coming from and why people would think that...that is totally not true at all. Yes, there are some hunts that will be galloping over big hedges in large crowds, but there will also be slower groups at the back that can go through gates and do not have to jump.
A lot of the time hunting (particularly with the 'not so good' hunts) can just involve hours of standing around, no jumping and just the odd canter! It can just be a countryside/ social thing really..
Hence why I often go with the draghounds, to make sure that I get lots of jumping as they pre-plan their routes to include all the jumps! The Berks and Bucks draghounds have lots of novice meets too, so plenty of smaller fences to jump too as well as the big ones should you feel like it...
smile.gif

k9h

Visit site
We have 30ish horses/ponies on our yard a if there's enough jockeys all will be out Boxing Day!!!
Can't believe PC dont support Hunting as it was Hunting that created PC???

seabiscuit

Visit site
Hahaha, thank you everyone!
tongue.gif

Vicijp- oo-er is that Elizafitz?If you were nearer it would have been fab to have taken him out- would have taken him to hunt for this wedsnesday!!cannot believe you do not have proper jumping/ hunting in Herefordshire wouldve thought that would have been a fab hunting area with large hedges!
frown.gif
sounds like he needs to go with the Meynell or duke of Beauforts!

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I hunt with the North Hereford who are very all or nothing. There are loads of trappy little sets of rails (downhill for last stride/sharp turn before/after) which you really need an ultra clever hunter to go in and pop - big lad just lets rip and finds it hard to find a stride short enough.
One bit of country has loads of tiger traps which jump well, but not very big. I have seen one jumpable hedge this year, with no wire. The country they hunted Saturday is horrid, all sheer drops, wind your way down round trees sort of thing. Hence I stayed at home.
One thing we do have a lot of is ditches. Everyone else sits back, slides down and pops out. Big lad takes them in one.
Hes awfully good for a 5yo, the autopilot kicks in as soon as he sees hounds (is a knob at home), but he does just need big bold fences and not little trappy granny scarers.

jemima

Visit site
We're in North Cambridgeshire. Don't get me wrong, our PC has been great for my daughter and we've got in touch with some good trainers and she's learnt a load and as a very shy mum coming back to the sport it's helped me (I still find it intimidating though) but it would be nice for her to have the opportunity to hunt as well!