Honiton

Follysmum

Visit site
Can anyone tell me what it is like around this area please. Family member is thinking of relocating from wales and has seen a few houses that way.

Mainly they bike ride and walk lots mainly. Have a few horses bit don’t compete so mainly just hacking. Thanks everyone

dixie

Visit site
I don’t know the area very well but they would be handily placed for Bicton Arena, Chard showground and Pontispool. And for bikes Haldon Forest.

little_critter

Visit site
You might want to consider the traffic. I only know of Honiton because it’s at the end of the A303 and we follow signs for Honiton when heading to S Devon or Cornwall. I’d imagine the traffic could be bad in peak holiday times, especially if the M5 is out if action.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I'm just outside honiton. We've got next to no hacking where we are- it's all working farmland, largely cattle . A lot of narrow windy lanes with high banks which are *mostly* quiet, except for delivery drivers, and tractors, and milk tankers etc etc. There's better hacking at east hill just outside ottery. And a few bridlepaths in luppitt and Sheldon. ( we picked honiton for a lot of non-horsey reasons, and I basically like it here, it's very convenient for a lot of things. But if riding were still a big part of my life I wouldn't have moved here)

Kitty B

Visit site
The traffic isn't bad, it is rare that we have a lot unless something is on. Personally, I like it, but then it is much quieter than the coastal town in East Sussex where I was previously! I find the people to be (mostly!) polite, the area quiet and a generally lovely place to live. It was a heck of a time finding somewhere to keep ponies, but once we did it was perfect to me. It isn't a terribly long drive to access places to walk or bike ride. Hacking less so, we've got our ponies about ten minutes drive away closer to where the bridleways are.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
My friend lives in a little village halfway between Honiton and Cullompton. I can't say it is an area that would inspire me for riding. I know my friend usually drives to somewhere to walk her dogs, roads are narrow, windy with high hedges and the locals don't drive slowly.

Arzada

Visit site
Thankyou for your reply. I do think he needs to go and check the area out himself when they are allowed out of wales again ?
Have they never been there? It really depends what they mean by the 'Honiton area' to be able to comment on suitability for walking, riding, cycling eg south of Honiton gives easy access to the wonderful South West Coast Path and some great cycling. Riding would be lanes. It would be different again west, north and east of Honiton

Follysmum

Visit site
No never been to that area but they have seen a house they like near Sheldon, after looking on google he has found its near to a flying centre so that has put him off.
Thanks to everyone for your replies