Hoof abscess bursting out of odd place?

soloequestrian

Visit site
Mare showed lame on Monday but no obvious track up foot. Vet advised bute. Today she has a weepy patch that looks like an abscess exit hole but it's not near her coronet - it's right in the back of her heels, so if you took a line from where the heel bulbs join at the back and follow it forwards to her pastern, it's just at that 'deep' point. Just wondering if anyone else has seen one burst here?
For context she is still slightly sore but got cross a few minutes ago when I brought someone else in out of the normal routine, so she trotted down a slope behind us (she really didn't need to) so I'm confident she's not actually suffering. I would just ring the vet again but typically it's Saturday night so it seems daft to do that when the horse is well.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
That's normal, most of mine have come out there at the join between the pastern and the hoof bulb. I would squirt hydrogen peroxide in as hard as you can twice a day for at least a week, you don't want the top sealing up.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
My pony had an abscess that under run his sole due to a serious injury. It burst out the back of his heel. I am not normally squeamish but seeing the vets finger disappear right inside my pony was disturbing!

He trod on a nail in the field, missed navicular bursa by 2mm. He spent 10 days in horsespital.

HobleytheTB

Visit site
Mine had some infection come out on the hoof wall, pretty much half way between the coronet band and the bottom! Neither the vet nor the farrier believed me that it had just burst out and that the hole wasn't already there from an old coronet band injury! Always nice to be unique I suppose.

soloequestrian

Visit site
Thanks to those who answered my PMs - I'm so technically incompetent that I can't find them now to say thanks via that connection :rolleyes: