Hoof abscess disappearing... how often does it really happen?

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Just curious really! Our EMS mini was extremely lame on Monday - it presented just like an abscess but I called the vet first since he is very lami-prone and has been slightly footsore of late, despite strict management and OK weight. Vet found (which I had missed, duh!) a small crack/hole in the toe with pain localised to that area when using hoof testers. He didn't dig for the abscess and our excellent farrier has also been consulted and agrees with that (vet and farrier work together a lot). Pony was already moving normally on Tuesday but nothing has appeared in the poultice... we have been poulticing since Monday (actually started dry on vet advice and then we have switched to a hot, wet one today on checking with farrier). He really hates being indoors so vet and farrier both agreed we could turn him out yesterday with poultice and boot on to keep everything clean. He trotted, cantered and bronced around and is continuing to move normally today and is his usual self.

I generally struggle to find a pulse in his legs on a normal day. On Monday, when lame, it was absolutely banging that side and it's completely disappeared again now. Basically I am just wondering if we will meet this abscess again or if we have somehow gotten away with it!

ETA: also appreciate it could be something other than an abscess, for example could have trodden on something?

Last edited:

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Thank you. The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to think he did just hurt himself somehow! Somehow my poultice, feed bag and canvas boot combo stayed on through his zoomies in a muddy paddock. I just find the prospect of an abscess reappearing later on somewhat horrifying but since he seems totally normally I think I just have to keep the little hole clean and hope for the best?!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
The exact same thing happened to my EMS unshod pony a couple of weeks ago. Rode him in the evening and he came out of the stable the next morning on three legs. Absolutely hopping lame, pulse, hot hoof, could hardly walk and wouldn't trot for the vet. Suspected an abscess although nothing obvious but I poulticed it anyway. 24 hours later with no sign of puss he was completely sound. Farrier has since trimmed him and couldn’t find anything obvious either so like your pony it is a complete mystery.

Hackback

Visit site
Happened to mine too, but he had acute on off lameness. I did think sometimes I could see a little damp patch near the coronet band but never enough to rule out the fact that it was just a mark on his hoof. No reaction to hoof testers and only thing vet could 'definitely' rule out was a break or an abscess. I went through a whole process of box rest and starting to bring back into work slowly. 2 farrier visits later an enormous dry abscess crater revealed itself. I can only assume that little patch of moisture that I wasn't sure if I was imagining was the gunk slowly leaking out, I never saw anything else.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Really helpful from you all, thank you. I'm delighted he is feeling fine and basically just feel like it was all a bit too easy! Farrier is here for usual visit Wednesday anyway. I will keep it clean for a few days more and hope for the best.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I've had one do that. Later found a small patch like an old abscess in the bar that had just never developed. Strange. But I think it formed then kind of leaked back out through the bar releasing the pressure again without travelling upwards through the foot.