Hoof boots and slipping solution

Fransurrey

Visit site
Like many I expect, I ride on varied terrain, including lethal grassy and smooth, slippery slopes. Recently I'd seen horsey sites advertise studs for boots and so I thought I'd invest, but bought the studs for a fraction of the price from icespike.net. 6 studs into each front boot (backcountry) and 4 into each hind (the new transition boots, also easyboot).

The result was fantastic today! Primarily I wanted studs for icy weather, hence buying ice studs, but reducing slippage on grass is such a bonus! The weather was truly foul and the amount of rain we've had means that the ground can't be any wetter. I was so confident by the time I reached our sloping hay field I rode down it for the first time in weeks.

So, if you have a barefoot horse or one who loses confidence in slippery conditions, I'd highly recommend these! They're shallow enough that riding on stony ground isn't an issue, but that extra purchase made all the difference to me and Henry. Shame about the weather, though!

NellRosk

Visit site
Ooh these sound exciting. How do you fix them into the boot? And can you ride on the road in them? Most of the muddy tracks near me are only accessible by road!

Fransurrey

Visit site
I simply screwed them in. There are instructions with the packet. The horse sites say to drill guide holes first, but I didn't. The ones I have can be used on the road, but I don't know how that will affect their lifespan. I think they're carbide, so pretty tough, but even if I go through two sets a winter, it's worth it for me, as I'm really worried these days in slippery conditions for some reason! You can fit more studs in each boot, which would spread the weight more, but I've gone with 6 for the moment.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Oh and another reason to buy them from a non horsey site is that the tool to apply them comes with the package. The horsey sites charge you over ten quid for it, cheeky gits!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
These look great but it is a US site I got to. Did you get them from there or did you find a UK supplier?

ah.. found them on Amazon, have bought :D let's see how we get on. We nearly went for six the other day so if they help it will be a relief.

Last edited:

paddy555

Visit site
does anyone know how these would affect jarring on the legs if used on the road? having them on slippery grass would be great but my riding is not all grass.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I only do minimal roadwork, so can't say for sure, but I do know that there was a site recommended by someone on here that had all sorts of studs on there for multiple purpose use, so there are ones available which will give a little, with smoother studs. I can't remember the site, though, sorry.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I got these and I can see them working on ice but I'm not convinced they'll be any good for us for general winter use. I think they'll be worn away in one ride on the roads and not be big enough to help where it's muddy. I'm currently in 2 minds whether to try them in the hoof boots or put them in my own boots as I was all over the place on ice this morning.