Hoof Boots/Barefoot Mangament Recommendations Please

skint1

Visit site
In a bid to improve my mare's feet she is going to be barefoot over the winter at least.

She has very poor feet, I have tried Formula4Feet for over a year, hoof power plus for about 4 months, I have rubbed cornucrescine in her coronet bands, restricted grazing when grass sugars are high, all sorts and yet she grows very poor quality hoof and has very thin soles. A bout of white line disease earlier this year exacerbated this and now she needs to have some time for her hooves to recover.

She had the backs off today, not too bad actually, may actually be able to continue with light hacking to keep her mobile (she is also arthritic) but I am so worried about the fronts so I want to give her the best chance.

I would appreciate any recommendations of hoof boots, supplements and how long I should expect her to be uncomfortable, anything I can do to help promote healthy and quick hoof growth? Many thanks

Morgan123

Visit site
There's a really good website with some useful advice/very useful people running it here: http://www.equinepodiatrysupplies.co.uk/. I'd ask them. Hoof boots are like saddles - it's just a case of finding the right ones for your horse's shape. Apparently it's possible to get people to come out with loads of different types if need be so you can work out what works for your horse. Basically, all the main brands you'll see are great, but for slightly different reasons - exactly like saddles. I love the cavallos personally, but it's a personal thing.

Good luck!

amandap

Visit site
I would also look more closely at diet. Contact here for diet advice and if you can't run to the full analysis etc. there are ready made balancers. http://forageplus.co.uk/

Second contacting the people on the link in the previous post as well. Aim to take things slowly.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
Cavallos are not too expensive, easy to measure feet after removal, then go for the smaller rather than the larger size if in doubt, be careful fitting and you can return them if wrong size., There are two styles. The sock things are useless, but buy another brand if needed. They may have a new type though, worth asking.
I reckon going in to winter you can get something like pro earth or forageplus, or any really good brand of minerals [feed all year round] also 50-200gms micronised linseed, and maybe consider MgO if footy. Some salt [tablespoon]. NO molasses and no alfa [some get footy, some don't]. Walk in hand if she is sore rather than ride, and try to use a variety of surfaces, all soft is no use.
Feed some soaked hay and use no molassed sugar beet to increase fibre reduce sugar, when the grass look "verdant green", stable for a few hours to get her off sugary lush grass.

Last edited:

skint1

Visit site
Thank you all! I like the look of the Cavallo Simple ones so perhaps I will give those a go. It had not occurred to me that she may be able to be ridden or even walked out in hand, that would be so great because she has arthritis and I am terrified she will break down irretrievably with such a long time off. I am so worried about her feet generally because her soles are so thin, if we have a wet winter I am not sure how she will cope without some form of shoe even in the field. Farrier thinks she will be fine if I boot her taking her to and from the field.

There are so many choices of supplements so I will study the links carefully, initially I had been thinking Farrier's Formula, but there are lots of others too it would seem.

I am really crossing my fingers this works for my mare, without her my world is a much darker place.

amandap

Visit site
Do contact EPSupplies, Justine is very helpful and you may need to use pads in the boots. She may be able to recommend a trimmer to come out and help you with these decisions and a plan of action. It can be a lonely journey without on the spot support.
Good luck. x

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
If she is older it might be worthwhile testing for cushings, I believe this is testing is free till October
http://www.talkaboutlaminitis.co.uk/ There are so many things that could be considered to be contributory, that you probably need to read around the subject. Have a look at Rockley Farm [a rehabilitation centre], there are updates on individuals every week, and also lots of basic stuff in the older blogs.
PS I am not suggesting she has any "disease" but that these regimes will help the problems you have.

Last edited:

Nugget La Poneh

Visit site
Thank you all! I like the look of the Cavallo Simple ones so perhaps I will give those a go. It had not occurred to me that she may be able to be ridden or even walked out in hand, that would be so great because she has arthritis and I am terrified she will break down irretrievably with such a long time off. I am so worried about her feet generally because her soles are so thin, if we have a wet winter I am not sure how she will cope without some form of shoe even in the field. Farrier thinks she will be fine if I boot her taking her to and from the field.

There are so many choices of supplements so I will study the links carefully, initially I had been thinking Farrier's Formula, but there are lots of others too it would seem.

I am really crossing my fingers this works for my mare, without her my world is a much darker place.

The more I have looked into it with mine, exercise seems be the key if the horse is up to it. If it needs to in boots so be it. Nugz has Old Macs, and depending on what size your horses hooves are, I have a spare pair of Cavallo simples if you are interested? They didn't fit Nugz very well, and despite technically being smaller, looked clumpy on his feet :D
Nugz was wearing his boots for 12hours during the day in the field as he had hardstanding in his paddock, and then off overnight. He has now been boot free for last 48 hours and still 90% sound on stony surfaces. The only things he winces at are big stones, which if I am honest, shod horses would struggle with :D

Brightbay

Visit site
If you have tried Formula4Feet without dramatic improvement, can I suggest you take the suggestions above and try Forageplus? It works in a completely different way from supplements like Formula4Feet and Farrier's Formula, and because of this it can be very effective in horses who haven't responded to the normal hoof supplement route. I would suggest going straight for the Winter Hoof Health balancer as the vitamin E will give her an extra change to make the changes she needs :)

skint1

Visit site
Do contact EPSupplies, Justine is very helpful and you may need to use pads in the boots. She may be able to recommend a trimmer to come out and help you with these decisions and a plan of action. It can be a lonely journey without on the spot support.
Good luck. x

Thanks so much amandap, I don't know if you remember but you really helped me when I had a thread about WLD (same horse)

If she is older it might be worthwhile testing for cushings, I believe this is testing is free till October
http://www.talkaboutlaminitis.co.uk/ There are so many things that could be considered to be contributory, that you probably need to read around the subject. Have a look at Rockley Farm [a rehabilitation centre], there are updates on individuals every week, and also lots of basic stuff in the older blogs.
PS I am not suggesting she has any "disease" but that these regimes will help the problems you have.

Thanks, I will definitely get her tested, it would be good to know if she had something that could be managed, it might just save her a lot of pain

If you have tried Formula4Feet without dramatic improvement, can I suggest you take the suggestions above and try Forageplus? It works in a completely different way from supplements like Formula4Feet and Farrier's Formula, and because of this it can be very effective in horses who haven't responded to the normal hoof supplement route. I would suggest going straight for the Winter Hoof Health balancer as the vitamin E will give her an extra change to make the changes she needs :)

Thank you, I thought it was working but this spring everything fell apart for her and it hasn't really been right since, so this I will do too.

NuggetlePoneh I will measure her, I've got a diagram to follow. It's good to know they can wear the boots in the paddock, I am dreading seeing her in pain, I am dreading it not working and then what? Poor thing, I have let her down enough. Sorry to sound so emotional, it helps no one.

amandap

Visit site
Thanks so much amandap, I don't know if you remember but you really helped me when I had a thread about WLD (same horse)
I remember very well and am glad I was able to help. :) I guessed it was the same horse and that is why I suggested some on the spot help. x I wish you the absolute best. x Take your time, don't rush into things until you feel confident with the decision. You could end up with a load of boots and other stuff. ;)

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have been feeding mine Gut Restore (from Thunderbrook feeds) and there has been an an improvement. Before his feet looked good, but his soles were sensitive. Nothing else has changed, except that the grass has got older, although they are still behind an electric fence as there is quite a lot of long clover.

The Gut Restore was recommended by my trimmer, and as I am a believer in the "Leaky Gut" theory I was happy to try it. Went for my first no boots ride this week too, all over some farm tracks and in places quite pebbly fields. 100% fine.

It is something to think about.

Nudibranch

Visit site
Lots of good suggestions on here. I would agree with testing for Cushings, it's good to know either way. I use Cavallo Simple boots and they seem to work well, just need them on the front with the old mare. It really made a difference to her, it's like riding a horse 10 years younger! Unmolassed sugar beet is your friend, keep off the grass during the day if you can, and a decent supplement. I find Pro Balance works for both mine.

skint1

Visit site
I just thought I would give a quick update, there's been a bit of a set back to the bf plan.

Whilst she was adjusting to having her back shoes off I noticed her right front looking increasingly...squashy....looking if that makes sense, and she was not comfortable with intermittent heat in that foot despite soft surfaces and a very restricted diet. Farrier was on holiday, but his cover ( a more experienced farrier, no offense to my farrier, just a fact) suggested I call vet asap to get xrays.

I had only had a vet a couple of days before, asking if I should get xrays/cushings test before having fronts off. They just gave me some iodine based stuff and told me to paint her soles and feet with that to harden them up prior to removing shoes but by now I was terrified of removing her front shoes.

So after this farrier had seen her I called vet out again, by now she was so sore she couldn't even leave her starvation paddock.

Vet came, saw her walking and trotting, did a nerve block then said "yes she is lame in the rf foot, give the office a call and book an xray" then he remarked that she was not so bad at the walk so I could probably ride her in a walk if I wanted.

At that point I decided I no longer wanted this particular practice to deal with my mare. I've been a customer for many years and spent a lot of money with them so no small decision, but things change. I guess they're not interested in happy hacker horses like mine or something. I had been asking them since May if they thought we should xray, if they thought we should run bloods, and the answer was always a breezy no, it's WLD so not needed. I don't blame my farrier, he is relatively inexperienced and I think he was doing the best he could but perhaps it was a little above his current skill set.

I called a different practice and asked for a specific vet recommended by a friend who came, understood my concerns and agreed to get xrays but wanted my farrier there. My farrier seemed reluctant to get involved so in the end I went with the farriers associated with the vet hospital.

In the meantime she lost the shoe from her bad foot and became almost immediately really lame- I wrapped the foot as best I could and new vet and farriers came and attended to her. She had 2 very deep abscesses which had to be treated before xrays could be done. She was put on a deep bed with bute and improved but on the morning of the xrays foot and leg were hot and by time of appointment (afternoon) the abscess had burst through the coronet band.

She was xrayed. There was some rotation of the right front pedal bone so they trimmed her up to correct it and re-xrayed after, even that small trim made an amazing difference to her walking out. She has also got sidebone, which is a big worry with this abscessing through the coronet band, but hopefully it will be ok.

They've opted for quite a wide looking shoe with the sole built up with pink putty covered with a sort of plastic mesh. They've filled the holes with an antibacterial putty of some kind. Her hind feet are still barefoot and the hope is that eventually the fronts will be in a position to have some time without shoes too, if we can get some good sole growth going, if this abscess doesn't develop into quittor or something like that...

I feel really let down by my original vet practice, I am not a horse expert, that is what I pay them for, what would it have cost to shut me up and just do the xrays back in May? The money I have spent on them to come to the yard and say "no you don't need xrays" she could have had all kinds of imaging done by now. It may not have changed whatever the outcome for her will be, but it may have prevented a lot of pain for her.

Sorry for the novel