Hoof boots for round hooves

Equinus

Visit site
I am going to try to keep our big lad without shoes if possible. He hasn't had shoes on for at least a year, but when we bought him he had dreadful feet all with seedy toe and thrush. They are now looking good and my farrier is really pleased with them and supportive of trying without shoes.

I would like to be prepared for any tenderness though, and am looking at hoof boots for the front. His hooves are white and very round (and quite large) He is a good middleweight 16.2. Will this make a difference?

So looking for others' experiences, the ones I have most commonly heard of are Cavallo which it seems are better for narrower hooves. He will be coming in to work this week.

Thanks for reading

kerilli

Visit site
i've just bought a 2nd hand pair of Old Mac G2s for my mare, her measurements are pretty much the same across as down the hoof, so pretty round. i haven't tried them yet though so can't comment.
previously i had a pair Marquis Supergrip boots on a big WB with round front feet, they were great on him, would recommend.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
The saddlery shop (online site) do a very good recommendation service where you send them measurements etc and they suggest boots for you. You can also hire boots from them to try them out first.

There's quite a few boots out there for round hooves so you should be okay (its HW's with hooves that are miles wider than they are long, like mine, that are a nightmare).

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Boa boots worked super well for my completely round hooved Haflinger. Never came off/loose once and fitted really well. The only thing that ever rubbed were the optional anti rub (!) gaiters, so try without first! I really liked they way they are tightened, have arthritis in fingers and their dial was the easiest to tighten.

shelly19

Visit site
We used boa boots daily for my grandaughters cob, he couldn't keep a shoe on one hoof and everytime he lost it caused more damage. He has pretty round hooves and they fit him very well, he was hacked out most days and she even jumped him with them.
They were very good but the metal laces snapped a couple of times when out riding meaning we had to abandon the hack and walk him home.

We still have a pair and they fit all 4 of our ponies, they come in very handy if one loses a shoe :)

Headpiece

Visit site
Cavallos are good for round feet, recently they have brought out a "sport" version for the longer than wide foot. I have a pair and they are very good and easy to use.

The Old Mac G1s are also good for round feet, the G2s are made for the longer than wide foot. I have had a pair of these for about 4 years now and still going strong although they are not a pretty boot compared with others.

nirikina

Visit site
I have Easyboot Trails for my boy. His front feet are round and his hinds are oval but both sets fit fine and they've not come off yet.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Cavallo Simple boots are good for round hooves - I use them on my TB mare who has round hooves. They do look very bulky to start with though, until they start to mould to the hoof and I also got some easycare 12 mm pads to go in mine as the cavallo ones are very thin. But my mare is walking fab - she hasn't even needed gaiters as they haven't rubbed at all.

Skippys Mum

Visit site
Another vote for Cavallo simple boots. My boys feet are very round. They have stayed put remarkably well - even coping with galloping through mud. They havent so much as moved.

I bought them to be a "starter" boot to do me till I could afford more expensive ones but they have been great.

I did buy a size smaller for his hinds which technically fit perfectly but he seems to prefer the looser fit of the size bigger?

You can also get the Easyboot gloves and Back Countrys (I have to confess to coveting them :eek:) in a wide fitting which is suitable for round hooves.

guesstimation

Visit site
I had easyboot gloves for my mare her feet were quite round and I really liked them that was a few years ago now though so products may have moved on!