Hoof boots for TB...help!

fatponee

Visit site
Clever old horsey of mine managed to pull off 3 shoes in the last week whilst having a jolly around the field. Hasn't pulled off big chunks of his feet, but he doesn't have the greatest feet at the best of times (v thin walls make it difficult to actually nail shoes on).

Anyway, farrier came today and said that it would be pretty much pointless to try to put new shoes on as they'll probably be off within a week, and suggested the benefits of trying hoof boots. Using them would make a lot of sense and so I'm now on the hunt for some. Problem is, where do I start? There are so many makes and shapes!

I ride 5 days a week with a mixture of schooling (so no problem there) and hacking on both roads and in the forest. I need boots which are going to stand up to the amount of work we do. Said horse's feet are quite small and upright. Can anyone offer any words of wisdom? :rolleyes:

Steaming hot cup of hot chocolate if you've read this far.

Jinete12

Visit site
I use cavallo simple boots on my TB. I hack out 5 times a week through mud, water, roads and very rugged stoney tracks. He's never lost one yet and we're doing a 10 mile cross country ride with jumps this weekend. He has very small hooves and only takes a size 2 boot. We've never had any rubbing or any problems at all. I can't rate them enough and only wish I'd discovered them sooner!
Good luck with yours.

Kallibear

Visit site
Conact The Saddlery Shop. They have all types of boots and will advise you on the best type. Which types depends almost entirely on the foot shape - they are only as good as the fit. Measure your horses feet carefully before hand so you can give them measurements.

If your horse has the right shaped feet I would go for the EasyCare Gloves.

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
I always recommend Easyboot Gloves first - if your horse can fit into them then they really are the best. People do 100 mile race rides in them so they will stand up to any amount of work you throw at them. If Gloves don't fit then it really depends on the shape of the foot. For very very round feet then the Old Macs Originals work well. Incidentally the Cavallos are really the same boot as the Old Mac G2's - same original design (designed by the same person) just a few different tweaks here and there. Renegades are also brilliant boots but expensive and you either have to order direct from the States or through a barefoot trimmer. Oh - also if you go with the Old Macs but get rubs even with the pastern wraps try using pastern wraps from the Boas instead - people find that combination often works best.

fatponee

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies, they really help. Think I will contact The Saddlery Shop and see what they say, and at least I have some recommendations now :D

Will post an update once I've got some fitted!

Abbeygale

Visit site
I used easyboot epics on my TB mare - all round.

I like the epics - I did hundreds of miles in mine before the bottom of them had worn away, they never slipped or came off. The easyboots can come with the gaiters attached, and the actual boot sits below the hair line, so there is nothing to rub. I used the old mac g2's before the easyboots, and they rubbed, twisted ,and were generally blah!

If you have a look here:

http://www.easycareinc.com/education/new_to_boots.aspx

You can take a look and see which boot is most suited for your horses shape feet. Agree with the other poster - contact the saddlery shop - they are really helpful, and have a good range of the boots in, and also the spare parts. If you start taking boots to pieces, you will soon find a need for some of the nuts & bolts, if you are a dozy wotsit like me and manage to lose some of the nuts while undoing them!! ha ha!! :) :)