Hoof boots for turnout?

HelenBack

Visit site
My lad has been barefoot for about seven months now following lameness issues both in front and behind. He's taken to it better than I ever could have expected and his feet are massively improved, although I know it's early days and we still have a way to go.

His landings are getting better all the time, but he does still land laterally on the one foot and I'm realistic that we may never achieve perfection there. I'm also dealing with deep central sulci, they look healthy now but obviously I want them to get less deep although again I know this will take time. I pretty much have shares in Red Horse products!

He's very comfortable across a variety of surfaces including tarmac and a rough stony/ gravelly bit to get to his field. He still feels big stones but I think that's to be expected really but he does generally march around quite happily.

What I've noticed though is that although he's very comfortable, when he has his hoof boots on he is noticeably even more comfortable again. His stride length is huge with his boots on and he just looks super relaxed through his whole body. I probably wouldn't have noticed anything if I didn't boot him as he's certainly happy enough without them but the difference when he has them on is certainly very noticeable.

So I started to wonder whether to turn him out in his boots too. I thought maybe if he's super comfortable and moving well all the time this will help with developing his feet overall. Also the ground is rock hard with us now and I suppose I think the boots might offer some protection given that he's still fairly new to barefoot. On the other hand I wondered if having the boots on for several hours might be a bit sweaty and almost create an athlete's foot type situation which probably wouldn't help with his frogs. Also I'm not sure if he walks around enough when he's turned out to make it worth it, especially given that he's happy enough without boots.

Anybody got any thoughts? Thanks.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My boy has very thin soles and I occasionally boot him in front for turnout when the ground is very hard. I used his old Renegades and at the suggestion of my Farrier cut a hole in the bottom so his feet were supported but they could breathe.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think in the circumstances you describe I wouldn't/it might be more trouble than it's worth.

FWIW F started out landing laterally on his lame front. BF this corrected but he started landing laterally slightly on his left instead. I don't think that ever actually resolved and it didn't seem to inhibit in anyway. Equally he always felt better out of boots than in though so interesting you are seeing such an improvement and I would be booting for work if that is the case.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
If he is landing laterally it is probably due to a conformation issue higher up the leg. Eventually the hoof will put down horn to balance out the lateral landing but you'll probably always have to be careful with the trimming.
I wouldn't turn out in boots in your circumstances, being barefoot in the field will help them strengthen. Remember he presumably managed barefoot in his youth. It can be a pita when they need to be turned out in boots , they come off and hide or end up rubbing.