Hoof boots - quick question...

Marnie

Visit site
Any help gratefully received!

We had a problem shoeing my mare this week and she has ended up with no front shoes. She is really quite foot sore and I remembered that I have Cavallo Big Foot boots bought for another horse but amazingly fit her. I haven't got the pastern wraps although have ordered some.

What is the norm for how long these can be left on? She is turned out and I put them on last night but took them off this morning as was worried about leaving them on 24 hours. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
People have kept them on all the time but you need to keep a good eye on then and sometimes the feet can get a bit 'sweaty' so prophylactic thrush treatment is a good idea.

ps large mens socks are often better than the cavallo pastern wraps.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Are you planning on getting the shoes back on OP?

If not, I’d give it about a week and then try to reduce the boot useage a bit, you might find the soreness has subsided a bit then.

ETA: id expect less sore in the field, not necessarily anywhere else!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I have left Cavallos on full time for a few days without issue. I do refit them twice a day, though. This works well in a dry field, but once it gets muddy and the mud seeps into the boots they can then rub the heels, so watch out for that.

For long term use, IME 12 hours per day is fine, with the horse coming in overnight to allow the feet to breathe.

Marnie

Visit site
Thanks all, the plan is to get shoes put back on but we've got a vet check on Wednesday to see if there is any underlying reason for her misbehaving. The ground is a bit softer after a bit of rain so hopefully she will be ok without them all the time.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
On the advice of my farrier I cut holes in the bottom of DP's old worn out Renegade Vipers as he can sometimes get a bit foot sore when the ground is rock hard. If he is out overnight he has them on the fronts so about 14 hours max and the holes allow his feet to breathe.