Hoof Boots. Which ones?

TicTac

Visit site
I expect this question has been asked before but untill you actually need something, I find I dont read posts concerning such things!

My mare who has arthritis in one of her front coffin joints had her shoes off nearly two weeks ago. She hasn't had hinds on for over 2 years. She is not uncomfortable without them and I will try to condition her feet as much as I can, however she wont be ridden alot anymore and most of her work will either be in a sand school or hacking which will require a bit of road work.

My farrier has advised getting her a pair of hoof boots if I want to take her on the roads and mentioned Old Macs. I see they have a new version called the G2 which look quite good but being new to this barefoot stuff, I wonder if any of you could give me your recommendations please.

She has fairly boxy shaped feet and one is smaller than the other. Is there one particular make that fits a certain shape better than other or do they all do the same job. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I dont know about boxy feet but i do know Boas are very good for my (and others) horses with very round flat feet so I dont think they would be the best for your horse's boxy feet (at least helps by excluding one make!)

Holly Hocks

Visit site
My TB has odd feed - one boxy and one normal. They are quite round feet. She is using Cavallo Simple boots which are great for round feet. The Cavallo Sport are better for feet which are longer than wide. They do look bulky when you first put them on, but they mould to the feet and are great. However if you do decide to get the Cavallos, don't buy their gaiters - they are crap. I bought some easycare gaiters which are much more secure and haven't budged yet.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
essentially I think they need to fit well which depend on her feet, the saddlery shop and equine podiatry supplies both supply boots and I know that at least the former will advise.

I bought Frank a pair of easyboot gloves which we have got on with really well, my fitter had a full fit kit so we could be sure that they were the right ones :). We are using them in front lots atm as we need his hoof growth to catch up with the wear of being on the roads and he has been a little footy without them.

TicTac

Visit site
Thank you every body for your replies.I will measure her feet and start doing some research. Pixiebee I have messaged you back :)