Hoof boots

Ceriann

Visit site
Mare out of shoes 4 weeks today - doing really well and coping with 2x20 mins handwalks a day on roads. Rehab being done alongside rehab for a medial branch injury (left hind) - 12 weeks post diagnosis, scan tomorrow. Told to consider 12 weeks as halfway if I want to give us best chance of long term recovery. Feet might have contributed hence barefoot. Ive bought her boots - i need to step up the walking and plan is to wear boots some days to help do that. Given different issues i have assumed i need to boot all 4 feet, not just fronts? Back boots are not a good fit so need to sort - would using just the fronts be silly given hind suspensory injury?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Most people only boot the front, just like many people only shoe the front.

Ceriann

Visit site
Most people only boot the front, just like many people only shoe the front.
Agreed and ive done this in the past with my own with shoes but im sure i read somewhere recently that this is now being questioned - balance etc? Fronts are raised, especially with boots. Im more sensitive with her given injury.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I guess the best thing you can do it in doubt is boot all round, but as you've found the shape of most back feet don't suit boots very well. There are a couple of types that do 'sport' versions that are narrower than long which might work better.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Provided your hoof quality is good and there are no signs of footiness, I’d be inclined to persevere without booting at all if you’re already managing a total of 40mins/ day in hand? Maybe try increasing to a total of 60mins before getting back on (assuming that’s the plan?), then get on for 5 mins at a time to start with, walk the rest and build up?

I only boot fronts, but that said it’s not for remedial work just because I go on gargantuan hacks on very stony tracks!

Melody Grey

Visit site
I guess the best thing you can do it in doubt is boot all round, but as you've found the shape of most back feet don't suit boots very well. There are a couple of types that do 'sport' versions that are narrower than long which might work better.
I have seen this too in people I know who have tried to boot all 4- often finding they need to use different brands on front and back. Most have sworn by the hoof boutique for their expertise....and a couple gave up trying to boot the back. Their work was remedial but not sure what for.

Ceriann

Visit site
Yep! Boots are within size range (and are slim versions for a narrower foot) and even with pads, they are twisting. Vet coming tomorrow so will ask - he’s supportive of shoes off but not proactively positive which suggests he hasn’t much experience of dealing with this sort of question. I’ll see what I can find that is a closer fit.

Ceriann

Visit site
Provided your hoof quality is good and there are no signs of footiness, I’d be inclined to persevere without booting at all if you’re already managing a total of 40mins/ day in hand? Maybe try increasing to a total of 60mins before getting back on (assuming that’s the plan?), then get on for 5 mins at a time to start with, walk the rest and build up?

I only boot fronts, but that said it’s not for remedial work just because I go on gargantuan hacks on very stony tracks!
That’s exactly the plan assuming scans support this - feet rehabbing just made sense given the programme for the injury. Vet is happy with me going slow as long as I keep going (turning away wasn’t an option in his mind). We should be doing more according to injury rehab but feet had to catch up and all fine as long as I just extend the programme and don’t try and take shortcuts to catch up.

Marigold4

Visit site
I have a horse out of shoes for 3 weeks now. I boot front and back for riding/walking out. Same boots work for all 4. You won't do any harm booting all 4 and if it makes you feel more conident in your rehab work, then why not? I use Equine Fusion boots and they are brilliant for my horse, good grip and never slip even on long rides and canter work but it depends on your horse's hoof shape.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I agree with Melody Grey. If she's ok with the hand work now, I wouldn't bother with booting at all. With my Exmoor gelding, I did boot all 4, but he is an EMS case and never had great feet for hacking on forestry tracks.

Ceriann

Visit site
We continue to go bfoot - shes doing well, with the odd footy step if we hit stones. She copes but i imagine once i get on she’ll need some support. Lets see. Bless she does look like a golf club in the new boots!

Mudfukkle

Visit site
I would advise against putting boots on her hinds, due to the type of injury she has, if the boots moved or twisted even in a slight way, you could cause even more damage and set her back.
It sounds like you are doing a great job, so just keep going barefoot and have a re-think if she goes footy or sore, but then just try with the fronts only.
All the best xx

Ceriann

Visit site
I would advise against putting boots on her hinds, due to the type of injury she has, if the boots moved or twisted even in a slight way, you could cause even more damage and set her back.
It sounds like you are doing a great job, so just keep going barefoot and have a re-think if she goes footy or sore, but then just try with the fronts only.
All the best xx
Thanks - that was my worry, especially as the twist was worse on the injured hind! We’ve only tried the boots on a short walk so no damage done but could see very quickly they wouldnt help at all (fronts are fine). Im hoping by time im allowed back on she’ll have much better feet - shes a TB type ive continuously been told wont manage without shoes and has “bad” feet. Given that assesment im pretty happy!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'd definitely prefer no boots behind if you can, I wouldn't worry about being a bit higher up in front I think that is less of a problem than compromising on boots behind (especially given her issue). Boots do make them move slightly differently and I'd want to avoid that

Ceriann

Visit site
We got a better than expected 12 week scan. Medial branch looks good, feels good and her movement is good (straight line assessment only). So i can hack and build up. Next assessment in 12 weeks, if all good we can reintroduce all work, including arena. Turnout to remain restricted (size of area not time - though i keep her off grass during the day anyway). Im so relieved! The regime is hard but worth it if we can get her back to work. On feet, vet remains supportive but dubious she will cope. We’ll see. Boots can go on fronts only as needed - he agreed poorly fitting hinds were a very bad idea. Saddler called (shes a toucb rounder than she was!) and we’ll be back on board!