Hoof Boots?

ThreeWBs

Visit site
Can someone talk to me about hoof boots for a barefoot horse (I've always had shod horses!)?

We can hack for miles on the tarmac with no issue, but he is footy (front feet only!) on angular stones when out hacking. He has good feet, which are improving daily with a better diet and hoof care routine.

I did ask my farrier about front shoes, but he said to persevere as he's seeing vast improvements.

I'm looking for something simple and easy to use for hacking a couple of times a week - or if anyone has any tips on conditioning his feet, so he's not so ouchie!

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The easiest boots to fit and use are Cavallos. These are Treks. The purists maintain that there are other boots with better breakover, which is true, but for good protection a couple of times a week these are well worth a look. They have a forgiving fit, she can wear hers for 12 hours a day without any rubbing.

94F3C971-4BB3-4D6E-9D75-CE4BB095F9DB.jpeg

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I have Scoots which I like and they aren't clumpy. Which you get will depend partly on the horse's hoof shape.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
you get will depend partly on the horse's hoof shape.
this ^^

i agree with TP cavallos are super easy, they weren't great for mine hacking on anything other than gravel or tarmac though and I did find I needed gaiters to avoid rubbing. they didn't come big enough for the one horse. I got on with renegades well but agree it's probably more important to know whether you are going to be limited by sizes or shapes before launching into a search ;) there are several good shops selling them that offer good advice re fit :)

Wheels

Visit site
As with anything else, the right fit is important.

My horse has slightly wider than long feet and so my options were limited. I got a mixed fit kit sent out from hoof boutique of the 3 types they thought might work based on the measurements but only 1 type really fitted well which were the renegade vipers. They are brilliant though and will last us a long time!

I should say I really dont like the cavallo types, I had them for a previous horse and they were so bulky and clumpy I just really dislike them

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
The treks are a lot lighter and less clumpy than the simples, but fully agree that good fit is key. Scoots are whizzier but are more of a faff to put on, and many horses can still feel stones through them, the soles of the treks are sturdier.

I’ll recommend Urban Horse for a really good quick service. They sent me out a fit kit based on my photos, and their suggestion was spot on. Hoof Bootique can be slow (several days) to reply.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Visit hoofbootique or Urban Horse and follow the advice on there regarding measurements. You can hire a mixed fit kit to narrow it down. If it's only angular stones that he's ouchy on, make sure there isn't deep seated thrush - if that is the case, he needs a full hoof soak treatment which goes much deeper than a spray or paste.

BBP

Visit site
Yep, it really depends on hoof shape as to what will be best. I quite fancied some easy boot gloves but my horse doesn’t fit into any of the size categories as those boots are quite a precise fit.

I’m a huge fan of renegades for round feet, I find mine to be forgiving of the stage of the trim cycle. Mine have never come off accidentally or rubbed and I still have the same pair I got 11 or 12 years ago. I’m even using mine for turnout on hind feet 23hours a day right now (which is probably quite naughty as they do have wire cables which could splinter and cause injury but they are the only ones that fit so I check them daily) and Cavallo treks on the fronts. The Cavallo are super easy to put on, but I find them quite clumpy on my very fine, low moving horse, and they fly off him easily (although are a little big).
Scoots are easy, not too clumpy but come off in the mud unless we use the mud straps.
Quite like the new exploras I have in terms of they seem to have good grip and a sole that most seems to replicate the expand and flex of a normal bare hoof, but I find that at the moment the heel captivator is made of a material that holds on to grass seeds etc, and I worry about them rubbing.
I found the only downside with renegades is that they aren’t designed for use with pads, but I’ve tried pads in the hinds for turnout recently and the pads are staying really well.

Nudibranch

Visit site
It all depends on good shape as above.
I have used Cavallos in the past, easy to fit and put on, no problems, stayed on. I now use Scoots. Again, stay on well and easy to put on if the fit is good (a hoof pick is your best friend for the straps). I ride over very varied terrain; lots of hills, banks, streams, mud, bog and fell and never had an issue with these two brands. I do prefer the Scoots as they are less clumpy.
I would like to try Easyboot but they just dont make them large enough - and my horses have fairly normal sized feet!