Hoof Branding?

cc14

Visit site
Today at my yard I noticed one of the horses had his two front hooves branded with the postcode his microchip and registration documents relate to as an alternative to freezemarking. Has anyone else heard of this or had it done on their horse? How much does it cost and how often do you have to have it done? I have never seen it before and thought it was a fab alternative to freezemarking and a physical deterrent to horsey thieves! :D

sonjafoers

Visit site
My farrier was going to start doing it but when he looked into the cost of the plates he decided against it. I think he was going to charge about £20 each time.

He did say though that it would be very easy to change it by filling in with hoof putty and altering letters.

cc14

Visit site
Scrunchie - I know it grows out but from what I gather it would only need doing every 8 months or so if that? Im slightly reluctant to freezemark mine for a number of reasons so have been looking for an alternative for a while

Sonjafoers - I think our farrier will do it for about £15 so sounds about right, just wanted to get a rough idea about how much others pay :)

The_snoopster

Visit site
There is a company who makes the irons for you, you just order you own postcode. Then when you farrier comes to shoe your horses while the shoes are in the kiln the farrier just pops your irons in too, when hot enough the farrier will burn them on the hooves for you. I asked my farrier what charge there would be and he said as long as the horse was quiet, which they should be for a hot shoeing anyway he wuld not personally charge me. My farrier said they would need applying around every 6 months, when I priced up the irons a number of years ago they were quite expensive around £160. However when you think about it they would last a life time and could be used on every horse you are likely to own in the future. Unlike freezemarks you do not get to keep the freezemark for future horses, so if you have several horses it could work out cheaper in the long run.

sonjafoers

Visit site
The cost of the plates is what put my farrier off - not for him but for clients who would have to buy them. Don't think I explained that very well earlier!

If you put your yards postcode & shared the cost with everyone there it's not too bad but if not the initial outlay isn't cheap.

Mine would charge £20 for doing it and said it would need doing every 6 months - he also mentioned the issue of what happens when it is half grown out & there isn't then enough room to rebrand so you are left with a half grown out one for a while.

The_snoopster

Visit site
The cost of the plates is what put my farrier off - not for him but for clients who would have to buy them. Don't think I explained that very well earlier!

If you put your yards postcode & shared the cost with everyone there it's not too bad but if not the initial outlay isn't cheap.

Mine would charge £20 for doing it and said it would need doing every 6 months - he also mentioned the issue of what happens when it is half grown out & there isn't then enough room to rebrand so you are left with a half grown out one for a while.

Do you have your horse hot shoed as the kiln would already be in use heating up your horses shoes, I think your farrier charging £20 every 6 months is a bit mean ;). Were they going to be your own irons he used, or was he thinking of buying his own to use on his clients horses which would be different. I expected my farrier to charge around a £5 when I needed it doing, but he told me he would not charge me unless lots of clients started using them which could potentially slow him down over the day.

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Not my current yard, but at a yard I was at years ago the YO brought a set of irons and had all her horses done (not sure if the farrier charge to do it or not).

They used to mark alternate feet, so there was always one brand fully visible even if another was half grown out.

cc14

Visit site
My horse has HUGE feet, Im sure there is shire in there somewhere, so there would always be plenty of room to rebrand.

Stupid me didnt even think I would have to buy the plates myself, just thought the farrier might have a nice little selection :rolleyes::p

I think he is at the yard some point this week so might ask about it :) Is postcode the tended thing to have branded or does anyone have anything else?

cc14

Visit site
Cluck - completely agree, something I would like to know. Is it just something that grows out and doesnt affect the new hoof, does it weaken new and existing hoof wall etc...?

barehoofhannah

I wouldn't have thought it would be ideal to burn off part of the protective layer of the hoof. I take out the flare with a bit of trimming from the top but wouldn't want to be taking more of the initial protective layer - but only a first thought no knowledge on how the burned hoof recovers and if within a wk top layer of hoof as as though never happened.

Reminded me to get my youngster freeze marked though so thank you
Hannah

The_snoopster

Visit site
I am not sure about what damage it would do, but I know the police force use them on their horses. I noticed on a documentory about police horses that they had them on their hooves, I would of thought the police have good vet/advisors who would of pointed out any potential damage if any at all.

Cuffey

Visit site
How much damage is done to the hoofwall? That would be my concern.

My farrier will not do it for that reason

Military horses definitely done as they move about regularly, not always handled by the same people and a large number are lookalikes.
Regiment number on one hind hoof, horses number on other hind hoof I think.

I would have thought a FM under the saddle would be better for quick recognition but........

maisyelliott

New User
Visit site
How much damage is done to the hoofwall? That would be my concern.

a website called the netposse says this, “Hoof Branding is a form of hot iron branding and is not a permanent mark. The owner's chosen information, such as phone number or zip code, is branded onto the horse's hooves, which is a painless process. Studies have also shown that, when properly applied, there is no long-term damage to the hoof wall. It is a safe method of temporary identification.”