Hoof care on dry tracks

Dopeydapple

Visit site
So my mare has just moved to a track system livery, it's bare earth track with some grass verges and hedging / nettles etc to nibble on but her main food source is the ad lib hay. She's very overweight so this seemed the best option to manage this but I'm wondering about whether I need to add anything onto her hooves as the earth is so dry and hard they will (maybe) get dry and cracked, they have occasionally in previous summers when it's been hot but it's never been an issue for long enough to worry about before. She is getting supplemented with vits and minerals which should help hoof health and she's always had good feet but just wondering if there is more I can do to stop them getting too dry?

Reacher

Visit site
I don’t find my 2 barefoot horses feet get cracked on dry ground - they go like iron. They are on a good vit/min mix (forage plus). Do they split at the toe in which case could they be a little long?

Dopeydapple

Visit site
I don’t find my 2 barefoot horses feet get cracked on dry ground - they go like iron. They are on a good vit/min mix (forage plus). Do they split at the toe in which case could they be a little long?
In the past when it has occasionally happened yes it's been the toes as she has had some sudden hoof growth and needed trimming, just wondering if I needed to be concerned given how dry they will always be now.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
Does it not rain in Wiltshire? It is rare for the ground to be dry all year round. Too wet is more of a problem than too dry.

paddy555

Visit site
I water mine with the hosepipe a couple of times a day when it gets very dry.

If Wiltshire is like Devon I doubt you will have to do anything now until next summer. Then if we have a long hot spell just wet them each day or ride through a stream.
Many proper track systems have a wet area included either water overflowing from a trough or another feature, a stream etc.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
At this time of year, I'd be more concerned about keeping them dry enough in the Autumn/Winter - unless there is an artificial surface on track (or they use a field or different area), a bare track will get very muddy very easily!

I found it hard enough in winter hoof wise when mine was on a surfaced/hard standing track type set up.

tristar

Visit site
if i think mines hooves are looking too dry, i paint them with olive oil top and bottom, not bottom if its dewy in the mornings, every other day, done it for years