Hoof Infected now post maggot trouble!

Wooleysmum

Visit site
Called out vet today, as the hoof was hot. Could not see any pus, frog bled when vet poked at it. Got penicillin jab, and bute.This follows maggots in frog area and thrush. Having a heart attack with worry. Any comments would be useful.I do not neglect my horse, honest!!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Pus (if it is a foot infection) might be a bit higher up the hoof wall and most likely (in this case) will pop out of the coronary band. Happened to one of my horses once and he came sound very quickly afterwards.
Hope he gets better soon!

parsley

Visit site
One of mine suddenly had some splits in the coronary band that the vet said were probably from absecess - he wasn't lame (a bit foot sore) and has been fine since.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Are you polticing (sp!)? That would help draw out any infection if it is near the sole (or at least soften the sole so the farrier can dig for it easier!). We've also had one absess pop out of the coronet band. It left my boy with a white line of hair all round it!

Id get the farrier out, NOT the vet. Sorry but our pony has had many absesses / bruised soles etc. over the years (usually 1/2 a year on average) and have found the vets are not the best for horses hooves - farriers are MUCH better at dealing with it. Vets tend to dig til blood..... farriers do not and they simply find them much quicker!

mostfunintown

Visit site
I once had 5 horses on livery when i moved to that yard( in the winter) a current livery told me about how her horse had maggots in its feet every summer. Following summer I was going through daily routine of checking all the mares and would you believe when i got to picking out feet all of them had maggotts. Some only a few and 2 of them had thousands of the little wrigglers in there. I tried many things but my number one cure turned out to be a good clean in jays fluid daily. Not only got rid of the maggotts but the smell also worked as a great fly repellent. GOOD LUCK
laugh.gif