Hoof moisturiser recommendations needed

spacie1977

Visit site
Anyone used Keratex hoof moisturiser and thought it was any good? Or able to recommend something else for dry cracking cracking hooves? One of my horses hooves have just had a bit of the outer wall chip off and on closer inspection they look a little dry so I'm wondering if I should put something on them. He has a good diet so shouldn't need anything added to his feed. But as good feet really comes from good feed, I'm wondering if I'd just be wasting my cash on fancy lotions and potions that don't actually do anything?

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
A sudden period of hot weather can make them dry out even on the best diet. The best hoof moisturiser is water, can you stand him in a stream? If not, emollient cream (like E45, you can often can find big tubs of cheaper stuff sold for babies) also works. Not sure about Keratex, but IMO oil-based stuff is not really doing anything but polishing the outside and making it look pretty.

ETA - I'm trying out coconut oil for my rescue pony's dry and cracked hooves (along with better diet), but not being using it long enough to recommend it yet.

spacie1977

Visit site
Thanks Laura. I don't have any streams nearby so will just try hosing his feet or soak them in a bucket then rub in some E45 (good idea btw!).

Starzaan

Visit site
All the farriers I know (including FF, for what it's worth) recommend Kevin Bacon hoof dressing. I have to say, it is incredible stuff.

fatpiggy

Visit site
All the farriers I know (including FF, for what it's worth) recommend Kevin Bacon hoof dressing. I have to say, it is incredible stuff.

My farrier said the only thing he would allow his wife to use on her horse's hooves was Kevin Bacon. He said every other product was no better than rubbing chip pan fat on them :)