Hoof pick monthly subscription service? 😂

AmieeT

Visit site
Slightly in jest- does anybody know of one?

Why are hoof picks the horse equivalent of hair ties? I can never find one when I want one, yet they’re in my bedroom, my workplace, my partner’s house.

I’d definitely subscribe. I already have every colour going so there would have to be pretty patterns each month.

Rant over.

D66

Visit site
Just have one - with baler twine tied on so you can hang it up. We used to tie on a cotton reel to stop it getting lost in the straw - in the days when everyone made their own clothes and used straw in the stables.:)

Denbob

Visit site
I always find mine about 5 minutes after I arrive at the yard with the one I've just bought to replace it. There's a conspiracy, a conspiracy I tell you! *shakes fist*

JFTDWS

Visit site
I keep one in the first aid kit in the back of my car. Yesterday I put it in the trailer and left it there. Bloody idiot, now it's not where I'll need it next. That's why they replicate where you don't need them!

Otherwise

Visit site
I bailer twine one to a skip bucket, never lost one since doing it a couple of years ago. Previously they were disappearing out of my closed grooming box, I did consider getting a lock for it.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I bailer twine one to a skip bucket, never lost one since doing it a couple of years ago. Previously they were disappearing out of my closed grooming box, I did consider getting a lock for it.
yeah was going to say mine is tied to a bucket so the pickings go neatly into that instead of everywhere else. And the hoofpick is always where I expect it ;)

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I just want to know why they're so useless for horses that are on hard clay. My friend had one made for her by a blacksmith. I coveted that hoofpick....

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Just buy a gross... Then you'll never lose one, because that's how life works!
This!
I ordered 10, they were 25p in a sale somewhere ages ago. I figured I loose them so often 10 would keep me going a while. 10 arrived, then another 10 then another 10.
The company I ordered off swore blind it wasn’t their mistake and I sure as hell wasnt going to argue!
So I have 30 hoofpicks and of course the last original still hanging on the yard 😂

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I forged my hoofpick from a piece of mild steel bar a few years ago. It lives in my groom bag for most of the week and hooks onto my belt while I'm grooming and tacking up.

Anybody who really wants a hoofpick subscription, I'm quite prepared to make and send you one hoofpick per month. Minimum period of 24 months. The hoofpick will not be to a standard pattern, it will be whatever I feel like making on the day.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I think most of mine end up on the muck heap inadvertently thrown out when emptying out muck buckets. Archeologists in the future will be discussing theories on why so many hoof picks had been spread over cropped fields...

Otherwise

Visit site
I think most of mine end up on the muck heap inadvertently thrown out when emptying out muck buckets. Archeologists in the future will be discussing theories on why so many hoof picks had been spread over cropped fields...
I've rescued more than one from the muck trailer, fork everything up and then a hoof pick falls down. I'd love to get a metal detector just to see if I could find any in the farmers fields.

holeymoley

Visit site
I have 3, or I wonder if it’s 4🤔 for this very reason! 1 at hand in the stable, 1 hanging up outside, 1 in a grooming bag and 1 in a show -grooming bag!

You’d be surprised at the amount of people that don’t use one. Amazes me.

npage123

Visit site
I never use one. Can't remember the last time I used a hoof pick

Really? I am genuinely puzzled by this, not trying to be rude.

Is this because you don't own or aren't responsible for any equines any longer (lol)?

Or are they all barefoot? Do you at least still check their soles daily for any embedded stones etc?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
My yard 2 are permanently hooked onto an old handleless water bucket in the hook slots. I have another 2 in the horsebox, haven't brought a replacement in eons.
Mind you, I only have 1 other person in the yard and she only comes once a week.

meleeka

Visit site
I recently bought a folding one and I haven’t lost it yet! It lives in my coat pocket along with my penknife and Ive saved loads of time by not having to hunt for the bloomin things. There are probably another 6 scattered round the place.

Peter7917

Visit site
Really? I am genuinely puzzled by this, not trying to be rude.

Is this because you don't own or aren't responsible for any equines any longer (lol)?

Or are they all barefoot? Do you at least still check their soles daily for any embedded stones etc?

No. I have sole care of five. Some have shoes, some don't. Varying from an all rounder who does a bit of everything, happy hackers and a couple of retired ones. The only time their feet get picked up is by the farrier. Not picked out a hoof in probably ten years now.

DD

Visit site
you need to buy at least 3 dozen. then you wont be able to find any. and next 15 will turn up all at once.

meleeka

Visit site
No. I have sole care of five. Some have shoes, some don't. Varying from an all rounder who does a bit of everything, happy hackers and a couple of retired ones. The only time their feet get picked up is by the farrier. Not picked out a hoof in probably ten years now.
😱. You must have amazing ground with no stones whatsoever. Don’t they get thrush? (Presumably you wouldn’t know if you aren’t checking 😂)

BOWS28

Visit site

I'm another one that is completely puzzled by this... Surely this is considered as quite a vital part of horses care?? (it is in my opinion, anyway..)

Peter7917

Visit site
😱. You must have amazing ground with no stones whatsoever. Don’t they get thrush? (Presumably you wouldn’t know if you aren’t checking 😂)

Well they see a farrier every 6-7 weeks and he would have no problem telling me. They all live out, I don't like to see a horse stabled where possible