Hoof pics (in my profile)

Burnttoast

Visit site
(see Ben's album in my profile)
I've just bought a lovely opinionated ;) 10yo NF gelding - I am his 7th owner, poor ******. He arrived last Friday and has spent the week settling in, sorting saddle etc. Mctimoney person is coming next week and I'm waiting for the trimmer to get back to me. His fronts have been on for two weeks (he had to be reshod for my second try and vetting as he was too footy to expect him to trot up properly). Feedwise he was on grass, hifi lite and top spec comp balancer. I'm moving him onto brewers yeast, salt, forageplus winter hoof health balancer, linseed & D&H just grass. The forageplus only arrived yesterday so am going to start incorporating that asap. There's a bit of thrush - am treating with milton (he hates the smell!) and am getting some field paste which I think he will prefer ;)

He's had about six-eight weeks not doing much with his shoes off, so the wall height is still enormous and those frogs/heels :eek: ! He's not great in-hand atm so it will be safer for all concerned to either do in-hand walking on concrete in the yard (lots of space) or walk him out under saddle. I need to video his landing but if he's landing toe first I don't want to do too much on hard surfaces to start with. I do have access to a sand/rubber school that's a bit loose when it's dry.

Will probably take fronts off in a couple of weeks - I want to get him walking out confidently first as he's still a little stressy and also give the minerals a bit of time to kick in. Then just start walking and see how we get on!

Just wondering what people's thoughts/comments are, what you would do etc. Thank you :eek:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I would take the fronts off now.

Well done for taking him on, those hooves are very badly misshapen (the heels make me go ouch). I look forward to seeing his progress. :)

Burnttoast

Visit site
Will get them off asap. I knew they were bad but seeing the pics really made me go argh! Particularly the view of the back of the fronts on the ground - really brings it home how wonky and tall they are (though his right front leg is pretty wonky anyway - am looking forward to seeing what shape foot he wants on that leg!)

Burnttoast

Visit site
I'm soaking with milton solution at the moment. I know many people have success with sudocreme but I don't want to stop the air getting to it by leaving anything oily/greasy in the sulcus. Hence wavering a bit over field paste. Would you floss as well to get things a bit cleaner/clearer?

NellRosk

Visit site
Yeah just to encourage it to open out a bit :) Although when you get shoes off and get stimulating those feet it should do it by itself! When my boys shoes came off I flossed his sulcuses (sulcii..?) with a baby wipe and stuffed them with cotton wool soaked in sudo, but tbh I think hacking him out on tarmac was the best thing at healing it up! He now has big wide frogs without any deep crevices!

Last edited: