Hoof resection?

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
I'd be really grateful if somebody could answer this question (or has experience in this matter), but has anybody heard of this being done because of severe 'gravel'?

Zebedee

Visit site
Yes, but it was quite a long time ago & I can't remember the full details.As far as I can remember the gravel had actually tracked up to the pedal bone, and they basically needed to go in & clean everything up. It was done at the Bristol Vet Uni I think. If this sounds anything like what you're asking about I'll try & find out more from the friend whose horse it is -let me know.
BTW the horse who had the opp is completely sound & made a full recovery very quickly.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
From Zebedee's description it sounds like something PF had done just before she came out here... she had a foot infection that got into her pedal bone and they (at Rossdales) had to make a big hole and dig all the muck out... got some fascinating x-rays if you want to have a look..
Anyway, they put a plate on her foot and I had to pack the hole with iodine swabs and then use a wide web shoe. Needless to say PF made a full recovery.

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
How fascinating!

I have never come across this for gravel, so I would imagine that the infection would have to be pretty serious for a hoof resection to be done.

One point that concerns me though is that both you and zebedee have mentioned that the resections you refer to were done by vets in a hospital type environment, but the horse I refer to, has had this procedure done at home by the farrier.
I haven't seen the hoof myself as my OH saw the horse, but he say's a good amount of hoof has been taken away.
I will have to ask him about any packing/after care, as he didn't mention that.

Thanks PF and I'm really pleased that your horsie made such a good recovery.
smile.gif

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
It does sound very similar zebedee, though as I've just said to PF, I was concerned that this horse had the procedure done at home by the farrier, so I would imagine that while the infection must have been serious, it wasn't serious enough to require vet treatment.

I really will have to ask my OH more about it as he saw the horse, but any info you can dig up for me would be very much appreciated, thank you.
smile.gif

Fairynuff

Visit site
Is what youre talking about also known as white line disease? If it is I can help as its unfortunately very common here. M.

Zebedee

Visit site
I don't think that the procedure done on that friends horse could be the same one. However...... I do have another friend (yes really!!) who had a pony that had a large amount of hoof wall removed by the farrier. I shall ask them both & report back - may take a day or two though.

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
I believe it is associated closely with white line disease in that it's an infection that runs between the hoof wall and the laminae.

I'd be really interested to hear your views on it Mairi as it seems to be far more prevalent in hot countries.
I'm guessing that the heat and dryness are major factors over there?

Fairynuff

Visit site
I can only tell you what I know about white LD.WLD is caused by damage to the horn at the point of the toe which allows bacteria and fughus to enter.Once inside they find the perfect conditions to grow as they thrive in aneorobic (SP) conditions.They eat the kerotine that makes up the hoof structure and will cause seperation of the wall from the laminae if allowed to continue. Its important to cut away the area of wall where the damage is being done to allow air light to reach the infected part. Special shoeing should be done to support the remaining wall and chlorine applied to the exposed part will help destroy the bacteria and fungus.Its thought that hard going and long toes is partly to blame as the stress placed on the hoof wall is likely to open up a pathway for the invasion of these beasties. Seemingly, horses shod with a mild rocker to allow slight breakover suffer less.
We seem to get a lot of it, probably due to the hot and humid conditions and the fact that the groung is very hard. Im beginning to think that the blacksmiths have got a lot to do with spreading it from a suffer to a non sufferer (tools) The use of shavings used to get most of the blame as it was believed that the spores etc were present in the wood used but its now seen in horses on rubber matting. Its a mystery and so far no one has come up with a sure cure or prevention. So long as the vet and blacksmith work together there should be a recovery although it will take a long time and lots of work. Dont know if Ive been of any help. M.

Zebedee

Visit site
Ok I've spoken to the friend whos pony had the hoof resection done by the farrier & it WAS for a gravel that had tracked right up in to the hoof, & NOT for WLD. I remember a wedge shaped section of horn was removed - about a quarter of the total area of the wall if you can visulise that, and initially you could see right through from the wall of the hoof to the sole. Within about five days you couldn't see right through any more & the actual regrowth & recovery was spectacularly quick. The pony was on antibiotics for about a week (neopen injected IM), & probably had some bute as well. The hoof was also dressed for about ten days as far as we can remember.
Hope this is of some help.