Hoof Supplements

Stasha22

Visit site
Anyone know of any good supplements to improve the quality of hooves?

My mares are pretty poor, they don't grow much at all and what does grow is very weak and its a struggle to keep shoes on her during the winter.

Any thoughts appreciated.

savanna

New User
Visit site
i have been using kevin bacons on my horses for 4 yrs approx and all their feet are in excellent condition. it keeps their feet at the same moisture all year round. well worth a try

Stasha22

Visit site
I probably should have mentioned in my original post that she is a very fussy feeder and would not eat Farrier's Formula.

She quite possibly will turn her nose up at whatever else I try I guess. Bugger...

Stasha22

Visit site
I was thinking about trying Biotin. Gold Label make one, think its called Biotin Plus? Not overly expensive either so like you say perhaps that is a good place for me to start.

miamibear

Visit site
I would, i like gold label stuff and its made about 20 mins down the road from me so i just go and pick up when i need anything!

Give it a try you have nothing to loose and have a read up on keratex see what you think

Stasha22

Visit site
I would love to live near a supplement factory!

Thanks for the advise, am going to try the Biotin and will also google Keratex.

miamibear

Visit site
Let us know how you get on
grin.gif

lornaA

Visit site
I'm currently trying the naf biotin supplement. Too soon to comment on it's effect but I have tried various supplements over the years as my mare has always had crap feet and nothing else has worked. Only trying the naf biotin cause its cheap. I'm also trying keratex. I read somewhere recently that if your horse has a good shiney coat then you are probably wasting your time witha hoof supplement as hooves and hair need the same nutrients so if they were deficient enough to cause bad feet you should also get a poor coat.

pocket

Visit site
Ralphs feet were really poor when I first got him, so I put him on Baileys low cal feed balancer/dengie hi fi/biotin/codliver oil and limestone flour and his feet are great now. I also dress them with effol
wink.gif

helenandshadow

Visit site
I feed farriers formula but if your horse won't eat it you could try naf biotin supplement, i also use keratex hoof hardener and cornucresine hoof ointment which is brilliant stuff!!