Hoof supplements

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
My pony has been having Pro Balance in some chop for quite a while but has started to leave it. What other low iron hoof supplements could I try, a pelleted one would be best so I don't need to be giving much extra feed.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
cant remember the ingredients but i used to feed my cushings mare formula4feet and found it really improved her hoof quality.. some people have said they have tried it and it made no difference..but i think it works on some and not on others.

Leo Walker

Visit site
The only ones that I would recomend thats pelleted is Equimins Advance Complete. I feed the powdered one to my pony. Its made such a dramatic and noticeable difference to her feet. When I looked into it it gave the best spec for the lowest price, unless you wanted to go for the really expensive PE or FP ones.

Leo Walker

Visit site
cant remember the ingredients but i used to feed my cushings mare formula4feet and found it really improved her hoof quality.. some people have said they have tried it and it made no difference..but i think it works on some and not on others.

It contains iron and the ratio of copper and zinc is out. Those seem to be the two most important things for good feet no matter what the adverts say.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
The only ones that I would recomend thats pelleted is Equimins Advance Complete. I feed the powdered one to my pony. Its made such a dramatic and noticeable difference to her feet. When I looked into it it gave the best spec for the lowest price, unless you wanted to go for the really expensive PE or FP ones.
I might give that a go then. He doesn't have any particular problems but I'm doing a lot of barefoot miles so I want to do the best for him, bit annoyed at the ungrateful beast for turning his nose up at his expensive PE supplements.

be positive

Visit site
I would try a different feed before changing the supplement, power does not stick well to chop my fussy one was leaving his feed when he recently changed to a powered one but he will now take it with a few soaked grass pellets and linseed no chop given as he doesn't need any more.

JillA

Visit site
Speak to Forageplus - they are very knowledgeable and helpful. Protein building amino acids such as lysine (a general one) or methionine (really goof for feet) and biotin will do more good than a "broad spectrum" supplement.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
It contains iron and the ratio of copper and zinc is out. Those seem to be the two most important things for good feet no matter what the adverts say.

it was a while ago but it definitely improved my horse's feet so much that the farrier asked me what i had been feeding her as they were so good and strong... after a while i stopped feeding it and again her feet became brittle and cracked, so went back on it and her feet improved again, so i can only give my experience...

supsup

Visit site
Mine really loves the taste of the Spillers brand balancers (I used the Daily Balancer), which have no added iron these days. They don't have Cu/Zn levels as high as the Pro Balance, but I've been feeding half and half Spillers and Equimins (Advance Complete powder) for a while. The Equimins powder always needed a tasty carrier to get it down him, so this worked pretty well as a compromise. Maybe you could try something similar with the Pro Hoof?