Hoofcare: Retracted soles tips?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Over the last few weeks Arty has developed slightly retracted soles and has gone a touch footsore on stones :(

I know there's not a great deal I can do but wait for it to grow out, but I just wondered if any one has any topical lotions and potions that I could put on to help, or at least help protect them from the wet? The field (bog) is drying out now, but I will keep her in if we have more heavy rain.

All 'dry weather for Worcestershire' dances also appreciated.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Not to hand, I can take some in the morning though

ETA: our interest is there anything particularly you'd be looking at with them?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I found a paper on it and that seems to me to be a complete misnomer for the condition. The giveaway is that it says 'retracted soles need to regrow, not unretract'. What they seem to me to be is waterlogged, soft soles that have worn thin.

Anything to stop the wear will help. Hoof hardener, one of the hoof waterproofs (but they need a dry foot to apply to and formaldehyde doesn't).

Hope that helps.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Formaldehyde 8%, otherwise known as Keratex hoof hardener will help with water logging.

I buy this and water it down with another 3 and a bit times it's own volume, 200 ml at a time, to make nearly a litre.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322811279838.

Fab thanks, never thought of using that in wet weather. Would you put something with some kind of dessicant type action on for a bit first or just go straight in with the formaldehyde?

ponyparty

Visit site
Bruce had this the first time I took his shoes off. I’m trying to remember what we had to do ? he wasn’t ridden at the time but I’d suggest booting for ridden work while yours has got this issue. I think regular (possibly more regular than usual?) trimming and Stockholm Tar applies every couple of days was what my hoofcare provider at the time prescribed. It does just take time to grow out unfortunately. How bad is it?

Also doing the “dry weather for Worcestershire” dance - it’s been horrific hasn’t it!

Who do you use, for hoof trimming (just out of interest, feel free to pm if you prefer)?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Bruce had this the first time I took his shoes off. I’m trying to remember what we had to do ? he wasn’t ridden at the time but I’d suggest booting for ridden work while yours has got this issue. I think regular (possibly more regular than usual?) trimming and Stockholm Tar applies every couple of days was what my hoofcare provider at the time prescribed. It does just take time to grow out unfortunately. How bad is it?

Also doing the “dry weather for Worcestershire” dance - it’s been horrific hasn’t it!

Who do you use, for hoof trimming (just out of interest, feel free to pm if you prefer)?

I trim them myself, although I do have a tame farrier who takes a look/assists from time to time (he's an excellent farrier but rather sceptical about the whole barefoot thing). I really couldn't take much off her hooves atm - not just are her soles a little thin but the periphery (next to the white line) is standing a bit proud. I think she'd be terribly sore if I took anything off.

I have put Stockholm tar on the last three days, so maybe that's as good as anything.

Yep, definitely booted for hacking...might be worth getting her some pads I suppose.

It's been awful, I need to build an all weather track!

ycbm

Visit site
Fab thanks, never thought of using that in wet weather. Would you put something with some kind of dessicant type action on for a bit first or just go straight in with the formaldehyde?

I'd slop the formaldehyde all over, made slightly more than 8% to allow for the water already there. It's safe on the whole sole, frog and horn. I've washed mud off with it in the past ?. It helped Muffin a fair bit when his shoes first came off.

ponyparty

Visit site
I trim them myself, although I do have a tame farrier who takes a look/assists from time to time (he's an excellent farrier but rather sceptical about the whole barefoot thing). I really couldn't take much off her hooves atm - not just are her soles a little thin but the periphery (next to the white line) is standing a bit proud. I think she'd be terribly sore if I took anything off.

I have put Stockholm tar on the last three days, so maybe that's as good as anything.

Yep, definitely booted for hacking...might be worth getting her some pads I suppose.

It's been awful, I need to build an all weather track!

Ooh sorry, her, not him ? I honestly can’t remember if we did trim more often, maybe it was less often. I seem to think it only took a couple of months to grow out though?

The Stockholm Tar def helps in these sort of waterlogged conditions.

The place I’m hoping to bring my boy back to is going to have a partially surfaced track; and a large “indoor turnout” barn for when it gets too soupy out on track for them. Might be worth enquiring there?

Reacher

Visit site
I’d still be interested if you would upload a photo DD.
I have a retired barefoot TB with flat feet and the trimmer says she is starting to develop concavity but I can’t tell how you know it it true concavity or retracted soles. She does not stand in waterlogged ground as at this time of year she spends most of the time in a concrete yard with rubber mats in some areas.

ponyparty

Visit site
I’d still be interested if you would upload a photo DD.
I have a retired barefoot TB with flat feet and the trimmer says she is starting to develop concavity but I can’t tell how you know it it true concavity or retracted soles. She does not stand in waterlogged ground as at this time of year she spends most of the time in a concrete yard with rubber mats in some areas.

Retracted soles are very different from true concavity - with a retracted sole there will be a sort of lip of sole near to the toe, and then a sudden drop into the “retracted” bit. In a hoof with true concavity the gradient is gradual and smooth, there is no lip or sudden drop.

I know I’m not DD but if you’re interested, I found a photo of my boy’s retracted soles from 2018. Note the lip of sole formed at the toe and how it then suddenly drops.

1AECA171-69DA-4296-9EBF-FD59EA12B50F.jpeg

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Sorry! Not quite a zombie thread but this is what my farrier says my horse has so i have been searching for info.

Obviously he's out of the really wet field and now spends about 9 hours a day stood on a dry bed. My own fields are also not wet mud, they do of course have mud and are wet- who's aren't but they are significantly drier.
I have some Keratex. I do also have Hoof Armour but its finding the right conditions to apply when his feet are really bone dry.
Any other snippits of wisdom please? Is the different atmosphere going to be enough to help?

ycbm

Visit site
I'd slop the formaldehyde all over, made slightly more than 8% to allow for the water already there. It's safe on the whole sole, frog and horn. I've washed mud off with it in the past ?. It helped Muffin a fair bit when his shoes first came off.

Re-reading this, formaldehyde is not safe on frogs if they have active thrush in deep holes.