Horible hack

serena2005

Visit site
Took Herbie out on a hack with a naughty horse (thinking he was getting over his napping) well he walked lovely for the first 5 mins then stop... few steps stop.... few steps stop...
i kicked he rearer, i tapped him with the whip he bucked, tried to steer he walked backwards faster.

i got him to walk nearly to the point where i turned back, getting to that point he tried to stop again so i started trotting and he was spooking like crazy, nice dressage moves though!

he made me so mad, next time im just going to make him walk backwards untill he wont walk backwards anymore.

GGGGRRR Horses
mad.gif

rrose

Visit site
same as mine, i hate it.. even if i go out with other horses except she will just keep rearing no matter what you do
mad.gif
if you find a cure let me know. glad im not the only one
mad.gif

Frazer

Visit site
That happens to me too, have you both elimated all the usual boring signs such as pain etc.... Ive had mine checked, and it is just pure naughtiness, she isn't scared because if we turn back shes fine!! At the moment, I lead her out in a bridle, but take a whip! If she even thinks about moving back just tap her up send her forward, if she rears wait till she has stopped then make her move on!!

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I have exactly the same problems with my mare. she is annoying. She will leave the yard fine, but spooking at everything, then rearing, bucking and running backwards. I've had all checked and she's just naughty. Things are getting better though. I smack her and kick her on, if she rears, we take a little stop and chill and then try again, this usually works. I don't let her run backwards or sideways, just don't give her the option. Kelly Marks has a great book on groundwork, for problems like this and it has really helped. The trouble is horses see it as a way that works for them to get out of it. The other day my mare had scary trailers and wheel barrows coming passed her on the yard and she didn't care at all!! Thats how I know she is trying it on. mares are generally worse because they are always trying to move on up in the herd, and see you as part of their herd too. They try and dominate, by trying to make all the decisions and not listening. Its a case of re-establishing a leader - follower relationship with them and also building a trust with your horse.

Weezy

Visit site
You say that you go to a point and then turn back? Do you not have a nice circular hack you can do? Also if they start to mess around then yes, kick forwards into a good stonking trot and keep it going, it is by far the best thing to do - make him work into a contact but keep on getting him working forwards and energetically - if you can do some shoulder in too and flexion and keep him listening to you - Good luck

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
yes circular rides are a good idea, if you go and turn back this is not good because the horse anticipates it, and it encourages napping and rearing.