Hormonal 3 yo

Vickibrooks00

New User
Visit site
Hi, I have a slightly hormonal 3 yo 12hh filly. Super smart and lovely natured (just not in spring this year!)
Have any of you experienced putting a filly in foal to help her hormones? Did it work? I really don't need any foals as have too many already? Anyone looking for a broodmare?

Dobermonkey

Visit site
Bit extreme? And what happens next spring? Am sure there's lots of supplements out there that would help. God knows the world doesn't need even more horses the state of things these days.

Templebar

Visit site
Its a bit hit and miss as above she may be hormonal next year and for every year after its not a certain fix. Also it is no quick fix, again as above with the state of the horse world at the moment the last thing needed is more foals being bred for no reason. Also are there not some ethical issues with just offering her up to be practically a rent a belly for 12 months, how are you going to monitor how she is treated and what happens if things go down hill.

I would really suggest a supplement like moody mare or regumate, they may seem expensive when you look at them but better that than damage to your mare and probably cheaper than breeding. Also you may only need them for a month. Have you also looked at what your feeding, it is spring after all and a lot of horses mares and geldings can have a change of temperament in the spring depending on their feed.

Alexart

Visit site
Agree with the others I wouldn't put in foal as it will solve nothing at all, youngsters go through teenage phases and phases where you just want to shoot the little darlings, but they do grow out of it as they mature and become adult, yours is still a baby!! My sisters friesian filly I could have quite easily made a nice throw rug out of her as a 3yr old, she wouldn't even stand to do her feet and that was if you could catch her, and would have won the slapper of the year award! We just left her to it for a year and then last year she was as nice as pie again, I actually thought she was ill when we got her in for worming and feet and nearly called the vet!, and this year she's back to her usual dope on a rope, some go through this phase more than others and some if you're very lucky don't do it at all!!:D

Spring Feather

Visit site
I suspect she's having transitional heats which are throwing her off a bit. She's only young so it's her first year of practising being an 'adult' mare so to speak. I'd leave her alone and I'd expect she'll sort herself out further into the summer.

Vickibrooks00

New User
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies.
Yes I have done supplements and regumated her last year. But have been told by many that putting her in foal can stabilise her hormones for life!! So was just putting it out there as an idea! She definitely gets better through the summer and is at her worst on her first season of the year. But at 12hh she has to be a child's pony all year round- I couldn't sell her to a child as she is

abbieandfiona

Visit site
What about a marble instead as this mimickes the body's hormones and will make the mare think she's in foal.

I wouldn't breed from her or loan her out at that age to be a brood mare.