Hormonal mare after ovaries removed

Elisabethjane

New User
Visit site
In January I had my mare's ovaries removed as she was always in season and used to lean on the walls and rub her hips raw, then squeal in pain and then kick the walls, when the vet saw this performance he identified that she was in alot of pain and after scanning her ovaries they were both abnormal,hence we went ahead with the operation. She has been great up until 5 weeks again when she came into season, the vets have said that this is not possible and that regumate would not work as she doesn't have her ovaries. Her season lasted 6 days and then 3 weeks later she had another season and is still in season, she is kicking the wall so much that she is moving her back shoes, she is rubbing her bottom raw and generally looking distressed, she is also doing it in her field now. Has anyone experience anything similar as the vets seem to be confused by this behaviour and she has now been bad for 2 weeks. I gave her some regumate today and it has stopped her from kicking and rubbing. Any help would be most gratefully recieved.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Well that's just wierd
confused.gif
Sorry not helpful I know...
tongue.gif

orin

Visit site
my friends mare does exactly same if she isnt on regumate.

is there a chanve they may have left a bit behind during surgery?

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Not sure if the same is true for horses - I would have thought so because humans and horses are both mammals. In humans, the ovaries AND the uterus secrete female hormones. When she cats are spayed, they remove the ovaries AND the uterus. I'm surprised that your mare had just the ovaries removed as (a) I didn't know they performed this operation on mares and (b) I would have expected her to continue to come into season for a couple more years, although I would have expected much reduced behaviour. I'd have a word with your vets. Maybe some ovarian tissue got left behind or maybe she has a a benign tumour still pumping out hormones.

Angua2

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if the same is true for horses - I would have thought so because humans and horses are both mammals. In humans, the ovaries AND the uterus secrete female hormones. When she cats are spayed, they remove the ovaries AND the uterus. I'm surprised that your mare had just the ovaries removed as (a) I didn't know they performed this operation on mares and (b) I would have expected her to continue to come into season for a couple more years, although I would have expected much reduced behaviour. I'd have a word with your vets. Maybe some ovarian tissue got left behind or maybe she has a a benign tumour still pumping out hormones.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eek..... I have had my mares ovaries removed at the beginning of june, and I was assured that there would be no more seasons. If what the vets at the Royal Vet college have said to me is true then I think you need to get your mare checked for other tumours and or remaining ovarian tissue.

from what I understand, they do not spay a mare in the same way as cats and dogs as it is such a major operation, where as just removing the ovaries has been proven to have the same effect with the minimum of trauma to the mare, even then you have to prove without a shadow of a doubt that the problems are physical and not behavioural

Odell

New User
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Eek..... I have had my mares ovaries removed at the beginning of june, and I was assured that there would be no more seasons. If what the vets at the Royal Vet college have said to me is true then I think you need to get your mare checked for other tumours and or remaining ovarian tissue.

from what I understand, they do not spay a mare in the same way as cats and dogs as it is such a major operation, where as just removing the ovaries has been proven to have the same effect with the minimum of trauma to the mare, even then you have to prove without a shadow of a doubt that the problems are physical and not behavioural
In January I had my mare's ovaries removed as she was always in season and used to lean on the walls and rub her hips raw, then squeal in pain and then kick the walls, when the vet saw this performance he identified that she was in alot of pain and after scanning her ovaries they were both abnormal,hence we went ahead with the operation. She has been great up until 5 weeks again when she came into season, the vets have said that this is not possible and that regumate would not work as she doesn't have her ovaries. Her season lasted 6 days and then 3 weeks later she had another season and is still in season, she is kicking the wall so much that she is moving her back shoes, she is rubbing her bottom raw and generally looking distressed, she is also doing it in her field now. Has anyone experience anything similar as the vets seem to be confused by this behaviour and she has now been bad for 2 weeks. I gave her some regumate today and it has stopped her from kicking and rubbing. Any help would be most gratefully recieved.

Hi, I know this is a really old post, but what you described is my mare. She’s had ovaries out a few years ago( before I had her) and the blood test have come back normal, however she’s coming back into season. She’s grumpy, uncomfortable , snappy and really spooky. Normally she’s such a chilled out loving girl. She’s had 2 seasons now ( obviously she can’t be having an actual season) . Atm she’s showing no sign of season and is back to herself again.
May i ask what you tried and did it work.
Many thanks