Horrible riding lesson report ?

ponyparty

Visit site
Bit of a moan... well not a moan exactly, just sharing my strange - not particularly great - riding lesson experience ? I was just left thinking “wtf was that?!” afterwards!

I’ve been missing my horsey fix, so I booked a lesson with a local riding school. I thought I’d give one Ive never been to before a go - simply because it’s the closest one to me and £3 per lesson cheaper than the other local one I’ve been to before (and rate very highly).

Wow. That extra £3 per lesson at the other place is definitely worthwhile paying. Won’t be going back to yesterday’s place!

I was put on an obese, extremely hairy, girthy (as in, actually bites when girth tightened) tank of a cob. It was in a hackamore because apparently it fiddles with a bit. I’ve never ridden in a hackamore before but always thought they were fairly severe? I asked whether I ought to ride with a contact, or if I needed to adapt my way of riding, and was told to just ride normally but that he could be “a bit strong” (but also a bit lazy ?).
Turns out it had zero brakes and didn’t like being left behind, classic nose to tail kinda riding school horse... it was just running straight through the bridle - I have no real experience of riding bitless, is this normal?! I wasn’t worried or anything, it was more just annoying ? wasn’t responsive to seat/leg aids - but then I haven’t ridden for ages and am not riding fit so that could have been me. No direction on this from instructor though, bizarrely!

It was also my first ride since breaking my hand; I was not expecting to get my arms pulled out the sockets! My hand was quite sore afterwards. I’m going to up the hand exercises now, ready for next time I ride.

It’s got to be the least enjoyable riding lesson I’ve ever had. The outdoor school was a dirty bog (but apparently better than the indoor?!) - I was covered in sandy mud afterwards. That aside though, I just didn’t feel I was getting any decent tuition - first time I’ve ridden since September and I could feel my legs not doing as I asked them, no comment from instructor though. She was praising a hollow, head in air trot from another in the group, whilst I looked on horrified. I don’t rate myself as a good rider, but at least i’ve learnt from this, I’m definitely beyond the “pay through the nose to be chucked on a badly schooled horse, ride nose to tail for an hour and jump off thinking that was great” level!

Can’t wait for my lesson at the other place in a couple of weeks time; I’ll have to report back on that, as a comparison!

I keep half heartedly looking at horses for part-loan as a temporary stop gap til I get my boy back; probably a silly idea though. Just missing horses so much! Weekly lessons seem like a good compromise - and I might even learn some new stuff (as long as I never go back to that place haha).

PurBee

Visit site
Lol!
I had a similar rough experience of a riding lesson after many yrs of not having ridden. It was a local small set up and i knew the lady also took rescues so really paid to support her efforts.
Took my OH for their first ride as a laugh too as he was curious about riding.
He got hairy lazy cob, i got dainty connemara speed ball.
I didnt really expect a lesson, just some fun on horseback more for my OH to experience it.
Oh the saddle! We spent most of the time trotting and this saddle had a particularly high pommel. Within 15 mins my lady bits are burning...in the middle of the lesson i became numb...concentrating on trying to scoot back in the saddle or drop my hips back by rounding my back....nothing worked...it hurt so much!
Never ever have i experienced such a thing from a saddle!

When i got off i could barely walk, and the burning....oh the burn!
Later at home upon investigations ...ok...maybe TMI?!! Lol!

Thank god it was only a 40 min lesson!

SEL

Visit site
My worst was missing my pony fix when I was overseas so booking in for a lesson at a local yard. They got the horse out and as it walked over the concrete I heard clip clop clip thud..and repeat. Surely they couldn't be getting me a lame horse? But yes, they were. I gently suggested that perhaps it wasn't entirely sound and from the look on their faces they knew it was lame and was obviously hoping I wouldn't notice!!

ponyparty

Visit site
My worst was missing my pony fix when I was overseas so booking in for a lesson at a local yard. They got the horse out and as it walked over the concrete I heard clip clop clip thud..and repeat. Surely they couldn't be getting me a lame horse? But yes, they were. I gently suggested that perhaps it wasn't entirely sound and from the look on their faces they knew it was lame and was obviously hoping I wouldn't notice!!

Oh no that’s horrible, how sad - and unethical.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
Terrible for you Purbee, you wasted good money for a rubbish experience. Looking forward to reading how you get on at the ‘good’ school in a couple of weeks, I ride at (what I consider to be) a fab one, tried another which wasn’t as bad as yours but was going that way. Feel sorry for absolute beginners who have nothing to compare, it could put them off for life.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I had a similar experience when I had a gap between horses and had to move home to look after my mum. I had one lesson which consisted of being chased around an arena with a schooling whip whilst an unqualified “instructor” screamed “kick” which seemed to be the only aid they taught!

After that I chose just to do hacking either park or beach. I enjoyed the freedom of riding uncomplicated horses totally within my ability. After a year though I was desperate to get my own again and bought my now 25yr old.

ponyparty

Visit site
To be honest, if I’d had that riding lesson as a kid I probably still would have loved it - just because it was horses.

Maybe after a few lessons at the other place I’ll see if someone I know has anything needs riding a couple of times per week... Can’t have OH getting used to me being around at home all the time ?

BBP

Visit site
That is definitely not what bitless should be like! A well schooled bitless horse should be just like a well schooled bitted horse. That doesn’t sound like a fun lesson at all!

Cob Life

Visit site
I used to ride at a place where pretty much the instructor (also my boss) would just tell us we were crap riders.
One day she really laid into me about how I was a bad rider and made me get off so she could show me how to do it and had exactly the same issue I was having!

Equi

Visit site
Awful lessons are awful! lol. I had a few in my inbetween years too (including a 5yo that didn't know how to steer...but was totally "dead safe" to ride if you didn't mind running into jump wings!) and they really only taught me what type of horse i want. Im a self classified happy hacker who wants to take things in a relaxed manner but if i have to kick twice im not happy! I have my perfect horse now, responsive but totally chilled with a bit of controllable spunk now and then. Have been told by many a person that when he goes im going to seriously struggle to find anything quite like him. That makes me very nervous.

Cob Life

Visit site
Awful lessons are awful! lol. I had a few in my inbetween years too (including a 5yo that didn't know how to steer...but was totally "dead safe" to ride if you didn't mind running into jump wings!) and they really only taught me what type of horse i want. Im a self classified happy hacker who wants to take things in a relaxed manner but if i have to kick twice im not happy! I have my perfect horse now, responsive but totally chilled with a bit of controllable spunk now and then. Have been told by many a person that when he goes im going to seriously struggle to find anything quite like him. That makes me very nervous.

There are others out there! My cob was very kick along to start but with schooling it's now one squeeze and we move up a gear but he's also not hot and is fairly chilled and equally happy to just go for a slow plod(as long as the yard cats aren't hiding behind the muck heap!)

Equi

Visit site
There are others out there! My cob was very kick along to start but with schooling it's now one squeeze and we move up a gear but he's also not hot and is fairly chilled and equally happy to just go for a slow plod(as long as the yard cats aren't hiding behind the muck heap!)
I really hope so!

Hollychops

Visit site
Sorry to hear of people having bad lessons. I have also started riding lessons again to retrain my muscles after 3 1/2 years of not riding and to iron out the bad habits! Must say i have loved every minute, even if it does confirm the horse i want is not the one i have been riding (she is lovely though, and ginger which makes her doubly lovely!). I am going for some private lessons at a different yard so i can really iron out the bad habits (looking down being one of them!). I cant wait.

ponyparty

Visit site
You live and learn! I’ve learnt that, unless I already know the establishment in question, it’s probably best to go and have a look around first before booking/parting with any money. One look would have told me what I needed to know about the place. I’m lucky in that the good riding school isn’t much further away or much more expensive.

Good idea to try some private lessons elsewhere, hollychops; sometimes you don’t realise you’re not progressing until you have a lesson with someone else and learn so much more. Good luck with ironing out the bad habits! I also have lots of bad habits and physical issues to sort out. My right hip flexor is giving me gyp - ever since I had a baby it’s been so tight and painful. Might have to bite the bullet and actually see a doctor or physio about it! ?

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
Goodness! That reminds me of so many riding schools I've been to (with lady bits chafing saddles). I did eventually find a few who could provide good schoolmaster types but these are pretty rare and even so they usually put you on the 'safe' cob to start with to see if you can ride. One school even put you on simulators first to see if you could ride...

Pippity

Visit site

Yup, mine's pretty much like that. The only problem is that, once we've moved up a gear, the brakes aren't particularly effective in moving back down!

Baywonder

Visit site
My eldest daughter had a riding lesson once, and the instructor kept shouting at her to sit up and bring her lower leg back. My daughter kept trying, but found it almost impossible to do. When she got off at the end of the lesson, the saddle had slipped forward, and was sloping back, tipping my daughter backwards! There was no time to say anything at that moment to the instructor, so the next lesson she had (on the same pony / same tack) I mentioned it to the instructor. I was told in no uncertain terms "the tack is checked before mounting and all of the saddles fit" - I was then shot a look as if to say you haven't got a clue what you are on about. True to form, the saddle slipped (again), and DD couldn't maintain a correct position throughout her lesson.

It was the last time we ever set foot on that yard - and we found a much better one a bit closer to home!

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
I booked a lunge lesson at one yard. On the day it turned out that the "instuctor" had never lunged a horse before, or knew what to do with the rider when on the lunge. I think that she learnt the most with that lesson.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
That's nothing.
There used to be a Scottish instructor (now no longer with us) who used to throw half-bricks at you if she felt you weren't up to par.
:D
:D I was terrified by an instructor in my youth , he sent us all down a jumping lane, cracked on by his lunge whip, with no stirrups and hands on head. I was on a horse that was incredibly narrow with a hard flat saddle, no idea how I stayed on :D

Pippity

Visit site
I booked a private jumping lesson. Got on the pony, sorted myself out, the instructor asked, "Are your stirrups okay?" I said they were okay for jumping, and she looked shocked. I had to be hastily shuffled onto a different horse, because the one I was on didn't jump.

FFAQ

Visit site
A few years ago I had completely lost my nerve after one of my boys bronced and bolted with me. After months of trying to build my confidence I decided to try something different and booked a western lesson. My friend came too to have a go. I explained in advance that I'd lost my nerve and was reassured that I could go at my own pace. I was given a cob who then proceeded to tank off with me around the school and I couldn't stop her. It transpired that they'd only bought her the day before and hadn't even tried her out! They just thought she'd be easy going because she was a cob. No word of apology- they found it funny. I was so shocked that I let it go. With hindsight I realise how irresponsible it was and I would never recommend them to anyone else.
How sad that so many of us have had negative experiences with instructors. A good instructor is definitely worth their weight in gold!

maggie62

Visit site
Lol!
I had a similar rough experience of a riding lesson after many yrs of not having ridden. It was a local small set up and i knew the lady also took rescues so really paid to support her efforts.
Took my OH for their first ride as a laugh too as he was curious about riding.
He got hairy lazy cob, i got dainty connemara speed ball.
I didnt really expect a lesson, just some fun on horseback more for my OH to experience it.
Oh the saddle! We spent most of the time trotting and this saddle had a particularly high pommel. Within 15 mins my lady bits are burning...in the middle of the lesson i became numb...concentrating on trying to scoot back in the saddle or drop my hips back by rounding my back....nothing worked...it hurt so much!
Never ever have i experienced such a thing from a saddle!

When i got off i could barely walk, and the burning....oh the burn!
Later at home upon investigations ...ok...maybe TMI?!! Lol!

Thank god it was only a 40 min lesson!
I feel your pain. Have had 'the burn' a good few times, not pleasant and was peeing razor blades afterwards ouchhhhhhhhhh

PurBee

Visit site
A few years ago I had completely lost my nerve after one of my boys bronced and bolted with me. After months of trying to build my confidence I decided to try something different and booked a western lesson. My friend came too to have a go. I explained in advance that I'd lost my nerve and was reassured that I could go at my own pace. I was given a cob who then proceeded to tank off with me around the school and I couldn't stop her. It transpired that they'd only bought her the day before and hadn't even tried her out! They just thought she'd be easy going because she was a cob. No word of apology- they found it funny. I was so shocked that I let it go. With hindsight I realise how irresponsible it was and I would never recommend them to anyone else.
How sad that so many of us have had negative experiences with instructors. A good instructor is definitely worth their weight in gold!

One hack i went on at a school i regularly attended was on a brand new horse. They got it the day before too. As soon as we got off the track, opened the gate to the wide open countryside, whoooooooshhhh! We’re off...bolting forth, bucking and general doolallying along the way, which succeeded in bouncing me off with foot caught in stirrup being dragged along. Frantic to get my foot free as there were huge tree trunk logs laying around used as jumps i didnt fancy getting torn apart.

Walked back to the school, amazingly not hurt!...told them horse loose, it was caught. Thats when i found out it was a new horse which no-one had ridden! I guess they believed the sellers lies or the horse was probably stressed by the move and hadnt been given time to adjust before being put to work.
This was a huge school of 100+ horses with liveries. Mostly great but had some rough experiences even there.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I went on a trip to Ireland when I was a student; we were all meant to go to a riding centre to play horseball.
When we got there, they decided we should just be given a horse each and go cross country schooling. No back protectors, no instructors, just 'off you go'.
I can still remember that I was given a 5 year old TB type called 'Angel' - and she was.
Never had such a lovely ride, she loved it, I loved it, amazing fun.
But it could have been very different.... :)