Horrid midges!

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
No doubt this has been done before but our yard is suffering horribly from midges at the moment particularly in the evenings. Does anyone know any good ways to stop them pestering the horses constantly? My fly spray seems to have very little effect, anyone know any that work on midges specifically? Or does anyone use any of the feed supplements that are meant to deter flies, do they work? Poor horses spend all evening walking around trying to get away from the horrid things. :(

eggs

Visit site
My Scottish friend swears by Avon Skin So Soft. Doesn't deter the midges like fly spray but does stop them biting.

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Star girl do you feed the pig oil or put it on the horse?

I have heard about the Avon cream but had forgotten so thanks eggs I will look into that.

sandi_84

Visit site
I was actually wondering if anyone had a homemade miracle spray type thing because they are coming out in force up here! :(
My lad still has enough winter coat attached that they aren't getting to his sking yet but his tail was pretty swishy the last couple of days :cool:

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Possibly a stupid question but where do you get the Avon skin so soft from? DO I have to call out an Avon lady! Or can you just get it in normal shops?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I've used a combi recently - and it appeared to work nicely :)

Naf citronella Gel smeared across belly & up the insides of front & hind legs as well as down face. Then a few squirts of Avon sos randomly over body - accompanied by a puff of the Naf deet fly spray under & over = one very happy horse :)

Batgirl

Visit site
Make sure it is the right Skin So soft! They aren't all repellent :)

Pretty sure it is the bluey greeney label and you can usually get batches from Ebay :)

Greylegs

Visit site
You need the Avon SSS with the blue label. It's a bath oil spray in a small spritzer type container. Smells a bit odd but I swear by it for my highland who gets a bit of SI if I'm not very on the ball with midge avoidance.

I get it off EBay or from Amazon where it's available in multi packs.

Strangely, I've noticed it goes solid if left to go too cold. Don't know if anyone else has experienced this. But running it under warm water (or, in desperation, tucking it into the waistband of my jods for a few minutes!!) soon makes it liquid again.

I also feed NAF D-itch supplement which seems to be really helping him stay midge free this year.

stargirl88

Visit site
You put it on them :)

mine is a sweet-itcher sadly so wears a rug, and I apply pig oil to the rest of her exposed bits. I watched her after I turned her out and her tail hardly moved while the rest were swishing around!

Oily products are great - midges just don't seem to like it.