Horse ‘yucking’ head down while hacking?

Hipo

Visit site
I have been hacking out regularly with my friend and her young cob. He is really laid back and pretty rock steady with anything we meet. The only problem is he constantly ‘yucks ‘ his head down, sometimes he looks as if he’s trying to rub his nose on his knees, sometimes not. He’s never tried to pull down for grass.
My first thought was pollen irritation and trying to rub his nose , I have a mare who did this, but was completely cured by a nose net. She tried the nose net, but no difference.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Hipo

Visit site
Teeth been done recently, and bridle looks fine, he doesn’t do it in the school?

ozpoz

Visit site
I have a Micklem bridle because my horse did this when I got him. A good dental, nathe bit and change of bridle which didn't press on the facial nerves sorted i. It might be worth a try if you can borrow one to see if it makes a difference.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It could still be a pollen allergy, or it could be the fit of his bit/bridle, or it could be that the contact is too firm. Or it could be that he is getting tired. How long are your hacks?

Hipo

Visit site
We don’t do very long hacks as my pony has arthritis in his knee, so usually half an hour to an hour mainly walking.

exracehorse

Visit site
Both of mine have itchy knees! They are actually rubbing their face against the leg. Think the rape pollen and cow parsley is too much at the moment

Hipo

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, will make these suggestions to her, starting with bridle first .

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
It might be something as simple as pollen allergy and as others have said possibly only trying to reach down to rub his face/nostrils/eyes, whatever is currently irritating him on his legs. - how long has he been doing this? Try smearing Vick's Vapour rub around the edges of his nostrils before a ride - if this doesnt work add a nose net too - worked a treat for my extremely sensitive mare.