Horse accidents in horseboxes at shows

Wilbur_Force

Visit site
I'm just in the process of buying a 3.5t box and am wondering whether accidents involving horseboxes at shows happen in all sorts of vehicles or mainly 3.5 tonners?

For example recently, horse at local riding club jumped the high breast bar AND weave grill in a 3.5t causing itself horrendous injuries. For me personally, the pros outweigh the cons.

I've also seen horses climbing and falling through tack lockers and have heard of horses coming over partitions when left in lorries at shows.

What safety procedures do you follow?

Thanks all :)

trendybraincell

Visit site
I think when it comes to horses nothing is fool proof. We all know if there is a way they can possibly hurt themselves, no matter how bizarre, they will find it!!

For me personally the pros of a 3.5T also outweigh the cons. I have heard of as many horses climbing breast bars in trailers or going through the floor, equally horses coming under lorry partitions...clearly the only way to avoid incident is to sell up and get an ant farm :p

Ludi-doodi

photobucket.com
I think you can buy some sort of heavy duty sloping cover that goes from the breast bar over to back wall that prevents horses getting their legs over the breastbar in 3.5t but the life of me I can't remember what its called. PaddyMonty (I think) did something similar in the box he fitted out recently.

Misog2000

Visit site
I worry about this with my conversion, so I make sure I never leave the back doors open with her in there. I don't think it would occur to her to come over the bar if there wasn't a way out obvious (if that makes sense). If I leave her in the lorry I have the ramp down and the partition open so she can't try and climb over.