Horse allergy advice - scabs on legs and face

Joeyjojo

Visit site
I have a pony who comes up with scabs on her lower legs (usually not much higher than fetlocks) and her nose/face each year around mid/late July. They are a constant battle of creams and care for 2/3ish months and then during autumn they dissappear. I have consulted with the vet several times and each year we try different things. I thought it might be a photosensitivity but that doesn't seem to fit as she makes it through a sunny June no problem.

I think logically it must be an allergy to something that comes up in the field at this time of year. Which is why it's only a few months and why it seems to affect the lower areas where she is grazing. It's odd though as I can't think of anything that is new in July. I have plenty of weeds (my fields are still a work in progress) but they are all out well before this happens. Buttercups would be an obvious one but it's one of the few things I don't have much of. I do keep on top of the ragwort in their fields too.

I was hoping that someone might have experienced something similar and could suggest a) what might be the cause and b) how I can treat it? I've tried leg wraps but because she's out 24/7 I worry that they will just get dirty and sore and make the whole situation worse. Is there a barrier cream I could try?

She's being treated with steroid cream but I feel like unless I can pin down what is causing it then that won't solve the issue.

Esmae

Visit site
Sounds like summer dermatitis. Only seems to affect white socks/noses. Sunshine and damp seem to bring it on. Sudocrem mixed with flowers of sulphur and slathered on seems to help get rid of it. It's a total pain if they get it.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I know exactly what this is. It’s the bane of my bloody life (and no I’m not exaggerating)
I’m so flat out today, nightmare day ?
I’ll message later x

Joeyjojo

Visit site
Sounds like summer dermatitis. Only seems to affect white socks/noses. Sunshine and damp seem to bring it on. Sudocrem mixed with flowers of sulphur and slathered on seems to help get rid of it. It's a total pain if they get it.
I'll try that combo thanks. Summer dermatitis was my assumption for the last few years and I've bought uv socks etc which haven't made much difference. But she gets it on the black bits of her face and has white legs to her belly but never really gets the scabs past her fetlock. I'm now wondering if it's an allergy.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Right, I may obviously be totally wrong in your situation but I have the exact same problem with my horses. It’s been every summer from about mid July to September time.
Same lower limbs and face effected.
I’ve trawled the fields looking for the culprit, thinking plant of some sort.
I knew it was field related as at first we had another field a few miles away and as soon as the horses swapped fields the sores came or cleared up.
I had a TB with very little hair and noticed on him what appeared to be pollen, like Lilly pollen. Again couldn’t find where from.
Got chatting to a lady locally who told me straight away it was harvest mites. They are different from the normal feather mite that hairier horses are prone to.
The orange pollen I could see was actually tiny clusters of mites.
E91FA448-31BF-4CBF-9AC4-41A91BE3B3C1.jpegView attachment 77882
I’ve taken a few photos today, conveniently TB (so visible) had lots today.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
On the other horses they are not visible are they are not as thin skinned. Sometimes if you have a star (weirdly) they can be seen in the centre or in creases by the muzzle
Some don’t bother about them, others it’s driving mad. D61FE314-7E5D-4356-B040-3C9E0A72FDC6.jpeg

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Was it sunlight related or an allergy do you know? I don't know much about Milk Thistle, what's it good for?
I don't know but it always occurred about June/July. He was a blanket spot appaloosa and one winter he was affected all over the white parts of his blanket. That was when I tried the milk thistle and it cleared up very quickly. That summer he didn't get the dermatitis but the following summer after I had stopped the milk thistle it came back big time and turned into what I suspect was cellulitis. It was at that point we decided to call it a day as his brother/field companion had cancer of the penis and needed putting down so I never got the chance to test my theory further. Milk thistle is for liver problems.

Joeyjojo

Visit site
Ooh thank you so much, this is amazing. It could well be it. We are in a wooded area and so they could definitely be a problem. I went and had a good look with a torch but couldn't see anything but she's a Welshie so not a thin skinned type at all. The symptoms sound very similar. As a first step I've deosected her thoroughly and I'll be ordering a spot on and some Pig oil and sulphur. I'm a bit excited that this could be the answer!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Ooh thank you so much, this is amazing. It could well be it. We are in a wooded area and so they could definitely be a problem. I went and had a good look with a torch but couldn't see anything but she's a Welshie so not a thin skinned type at all. The symptoms sound very similar. As a first step I've deosected her thoroughly and I'll be ordering a spot on and some Pig oil and sulphur. I'm a bit excited that this could be the answer!
I can’t see them on the others usually, as I say the odd time they settle together somewhere but rarely.
I’ve tried so much. The problem being as soon as I turn out they reinfect (if that’s the right word)
My vet has suggested the environmental factor is too great here to get rid of so I just try to keep on top of it.
I treat the sores with Sulpher cream or Shapleys MTG oil (stinks but great stuff)
Pig oil definitely helps lessen it.
I have just last week had the worst injected with Dectomax and he will have the second jab on Friday ? I’ve tried it before on another horse and didn’t really think it helped sadly.
It’s really tough to deal with but cling to the fact that it’s not forever and one day you will realise it’s all stopped ?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Neem oil is insecticidal so provided your horse doesn't react to it , it could be worth coating the legs with it.
One of the pour on fly treatments would be worth trying too.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve tried to research it so much. There’s very little info out there, lots on feather mites but this is a whole different kettle of fish due to the field aspect.
Things I have read which you could try are Ivermectin 2 doses 2 weeks apart or used as a wash, it comes in liquid form for sheep.
Conventional mite spray, it’s a bit expensive and prescription only. I’ve tried tonight applying some to my horses head with cotton wool.
Also found some relief with dia ******* earth.
Hoping someone can fill the blank there ?

HashRouge

Visit site
I've never come across harvest mites before - how fascinating!

OP - I would also have a look in your field for yarrow. It is apparently toxic and can cause photosensitivity - I have loads in one of my summer fields and my pink skinned Arab came out in nasty scabs on her chin while grazing in there, before I realised what it was. She's since been moved to another field and they have more or less cleared up. Worth look in your field anyway!

ETA yarrow is in flower at the moment and the stuff in my fields has been since mid-July, so might fit with your timeline.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Diatomaceous earth! I can never think of the name. I kept it in an ice cream tub with a soft brush just swept it over faces and around the fetlocks.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Today the vet has been back out to do the second dectomax jab.
This time it does appear to have helped. The pony is covered in scabs but there are no fresh sores so ?
I also spoke to another neighbour who also gets them but her current 2 horses don’t seem bothered so I suppose it’s really down to the individual horse how they react.
I had some luck with spraying some very old rabbit mite spray on cotton wool and wiping it over faces. ? I gave the bottle to the vet, told her not to look at the expiry date and see if she can get me more of the same! So will let you know if that go’s anywhere!