Horse and affording

bluebells24

New User
Visit site
I currently have a mare, she is 21, full of beans and quite dangerous at times, she recently dumped me from a rear and galloped all the way home nearly until someone caught her, she's been checked by the chyro, she's fine, oh and teeth done, I suspect she's got ulcers, but the insurance wont cover it and i am in such a tough financial point in life at the moment, the vet quoted me £300+ just to check, not even including the medicine if she has them, I just cannot pay it, Ive had her 5 years nearly now and love her dearly, she would be no good to sell on as she has conformation issues and rear sacrum nerve damage due to her rearing and falling on her behind, she also cannot be left alone as she will run around go nuts, ive thought about loaning her but she's just so nuts when rode im scared someone will get hurt, she is fine in company, but cantering and galloping she gets excited and can sometimes tank off, im terrified of getting a big vets bill soon and just not being able to pay it, and I feel she will suffer for it, what would someone do in my position? should i find a loaner, are there suicidal ones out there? or any other options?

Lintel

Visit site
I currently have a mare, she is 21, full of beans and quite dangerous at times, she recently dumped me from a rear and galloped all the way home nearly until someone caught her, she's been checked by the chyro, she's fine, oh and teeth done, I suspect she's got ulcers, but the insurance wont cover it and i am in such a tough financial point in life at the moment, the vet quoted me £300+ just to check, not even including the medicine if she has them, I just cannot pay it, Ive had her 5 years nearly now and love her dearly, she would be no good to sell on as she has conformation issues and rear sacrum nerve damage due to her rearing and falling on her behind, she also cannot be left alone as she will run around go nuts, ive thought about loaning her but she's just so nuts when rode im scared someone will get hurt, she is fine in company, but cantering and galloping she gets excited and can sometimes tank off, im terrified of getting a big vets bill soon and just not being able to pay it, and I feel she will suffer for it, what would someone do in my position? should i find a loaner, are there suicidal ones out there? or any other options?

There's been alot of thread around similar issues recently. In all honesty I think only these horses owners know what's best as we do not have the same feelings or all the information at hand. In your position personally I'd pts as I can't imagine a loaner wanting something with ?ulcers and perhaps other issues but undiagnosed. I'd also fear she would end up in the wrong hands.
If my boy were ever to be uncomfortable and unhappy and no use as a companion I'd hope I would be brave enough to make the choice, it's different when it is your own.

HeyMich

Visit site
No. If you know the horse is potentially dangerous do not put her out on loan. Absolutely not!

Sounds like she has some serious health and behavioural issues - possible ulcers, conformation issues, nerve damage, separation anxiety, not easily ridden, rearing, tanking off. Sounds like the behaviour is pain related and she's screaming at you for help!

Kindest thing would be to retire her (at 21 that's to be expected), or if ulcers/nerve damage/behaviour is severe and you can't afford vets bills then PTS.

mytwofriends

Visit site
The words ‘dangerous’ and ‘rear’ and ‘ulcers’ unfortunately aren’t conducive to being a good loan candidate. The only options that I can see are retire if practicable, or PTS, which is harder for you, kinder for her. Sorry to be rather blunt - it’s a horrid decision to make.

Farma

Visit site
You could try and manage the potential ulcers with diet and perhaps a supplement first to see if that helps. There is a lot you can do to manage them so that she is more comfortable.
Otherwise you could retire her if you don't want to ride her anymore.

windand rain

Visit site
If the OP hasn't got £300 for a possible vet bill, how can you tell her to PTS, as that could well be not far short of that.....

This is where in my humble opinion charity money should be used. Pity not more people see it that way. If the animal is suffering and the person involved financially cannot pay for it it is a kindness for someone to step in. I know everyone should have a contingency fund for PTS I have although OH keeps dipping in saying I dont need all three shot at once but circcumstances change and you can be flush and able to pay for years then something comes along that makes it impossible. The horse is impossible to rehome and the owner cannot deal with its needs

Goldenstar

Visit site
If the OP hasn't got £300 for a possible vet bill, how can you tell her to PTS, as that could well be not far short of that.....

Because if you can’t afford to treat your horse you have to find a way ( btw 300 is way over the top for a scope ) to PTS if you can’t give it a decent life .
This horse has pain OP knows that and it may well have ulcers because they caused by pain .
Of course she can’t loan or share it that would completely unethical so PTS is a logical outcome for a horse with dangerous behaviour and conditions that can’t be treated because of the cost .
If your need PTS you have to beg and borrow the money to do it it’s your responsibility to sort it out .

Theocat

Visit site

It's likely to be even more. I paid double that.

I would hope that the vet might agree a payment plan: once you aren't paying the costs of a horse that money can go straight to the vet bill and it shouldn't take too long to clear.

As a step before that, though, I would look at the management. Shoes off, into a field 24/7, no hard feed and keep things as relaxed as possible. It might help the ulcers, and will also help the finances. I would probably try that before I made a final decision, even if only to have time to come to terms with it.

There is no way I would let anyone else get on board, and certainly not a sharer.

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
should i find a loaner, are there suicidal ones out there?

IME the only suicidal loaners out there are teenagers who don't know any better and think they are invincible, and leaving aside the ethical issues that could end up costing you a whole lot more (I believe it was £10 million in the recent court case).

If you truly cannot find £300 for a vet bill (and presumably you are not insured from what you have said) then I agree with others that you need to seriously consider PTS. It doesn't sound like you are in a position to afford to keep a horse, she is not loanable and it would be completely unethical to sell her as she could well end up in a bad situation and / or kill someone.

WelshD

Visit site
I would personally cut out concentrates and shovel as much fibre as I can in to the horse including a good dose of alfalfa chaff* split in to as many meals as possible, maybe add a gastric supplement and see where that takes you

Keep stresses to a minimum so no new places, changes of stable, travelling etc

If trying to help things with diet and a bit of management does not work i'd think again

But I would at least give it a go

* This is assuming horse can tolerate alfalfa

Bellalily

Visit site
I have a similar 23 year old Connie who is my daughter's and she has grown up and left home. He is a nut to ride, can't be left behind, huge buck when he feels like it, tanks off with me inhand, you name it. I adore and worship him, we've had him 18 years and he is very loved. He comes out with me when I ride my horse to keep the peace and have some fun. Daughter rides him when she comes home, braver than me, and we have already decided that come the time anything major happens to him, we will go with pts rather than putting him thru any surgery or long term illness. He's been at death's door and scared the life out of everyone for a couple of weeks, and sometimes I feel the last six years have been the best of his life. I also build up an account with the vets, just putting a bit aside each month in case anything huge comes in. It's very handy and I don't really notice the small amount going out each month.

Equi

Visit site
I’d try her some home ulcer treatments first - join a Facebook ulcers group and they can tell you. Her behaviour could be coming from them. Most people recommend trying the ulcer diet and if it works great. If not, that’s when you then seek vet to scope etc.

HeyMich

Visit site

PTS would be one bill of (probably) less than £300.

Not PTS would be potentially huge vets bills and continued usual costs of upkeep - livery, grazing, feed, farrier. If OP can't afford £300 for PTS then how will she afford all the usual and additional costs going forward?

JFTDWS

Visit site

Ah but shooting it will save money on livery and keeping bills in the long term, so all she needs to do is find some kind of financing system. How about a nice pay day loan :p

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
if PTS is the option that OP decides then why not ask the local hunt. i had my mare put down at my yard in 2016 and it was £150.....from the description it sounds like this mare is in pain and not happy and as she is in her 20's you may find that costly treatment may not be the best option for her anyway... i am in a similar financial situation and i use my credit card if any vet treatment is needed and worry about it when the statement comes in....if you do PTS then you will not have the associated costs of keeping a horse so would be able to pay cr.card or loan off reasonably quickly.