Horse and Hound is getting thinner

tullystud

Visit site
Is it just me or is the Horse and Hound getting thinner. You expect it over christmas but it has continued to have little content. I know that now there are not lots of results and big shows to talk about but surely now would be a good time to get some more general articles and advice. I used to read it on and off all week, now it is done in just a few minutes.

ThePony

Visit site
Def is - got the olympia issue (lets face it, they could fill it out with pics from the show even if there weren't enough people in the office to write something worth reading!) and I was shocked how thin it was, take the ads out and there isn't much there at all!
Like you I would dip in and out of it all week, done in one reading now though. Bit rubbish tbh!

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
Page count is normally dependent on how many ads are taken out. Ads are what pay the bills. Some companies cannot afford to advertise as much as they used to.

Capriole

Visit site
yep, thinner and thinner, then the show special will come out, saying NEW BIGGER MORE PAGES THAN EVER or some such. Like on the front of the one last year in fact :D

BBH

Visit site
I've stopped buying it for this reason.

I used to buy it every week but gave up when the bits I was interested in took 2 mins to read. Even the ' padding' articles aren't interesting.

HHO admin

Administrator
Visit site
Thank you for all your comments but stick with us – we're now getting thicker and thicker! And while I agree some of our late Dec/early issues feel quite thin, a high percentage of the paging is editorial.

As one forum user pointed out, advertisers generally don't place many ads right over and immediately after Christmas and the number of ad pages determines the number of editorial pages available.

We have masses of excellent series, features and news stories in the pipeline and with the equestrian industry and business world now properly back at the office, I am pleased to say fatter issues are back (not that we really stopped over Christmas ourselves).

Lucy, H&H Editor

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Its true it's thin but I think its a bit harsh to judge the thickness based on the couple of issues around Xmas/New Year. TBH, Ive read H&H and other mags for years and it has always been the case that there are thin pickings at this time of year, it's not a new thing.

I do think the advertisers have got it wrong tho, this time of year is when people are at home and stuffed with food and is the time when their ads are actually likely to be read, if only as a way of avoiding the sound of Great Uncle Pip snoring/eating/farting.

Am looking forward to the fat n squashy issues to come!

Capriole

Visit site
Im looking forward to the show issue, my fave.

I agree, I think the advertisers are missing out on Xmas money as well :D The sales were pretty rubbish this year and there must have been LOADS of people trying to spend their ££ on something or other lol

SamanthaUK

Visit site
Thank you for all your comments but stick with us – we're now getting thicker and thicker! And while I agree some of our late Dec/early issues feel quite thin, a high percentage of the paging is editorial.

As one forum user pointed out, advertisers generally don't place many ads right over and immediately after Christmas and the number of ad pages determines the number of editorial pages available.

We have masses of excellent series, features and news stories in the pipeline and with the equestrian industry and business world now properly back at the office, I am pleased to say fatter issues are back (not that we really stopped over Christmas ourselves).

Lucy, H&H Editor

I'm really pleased that you've picked up on this issue and are going to make H&H fatter and fatter. Maybe, I know it sounds bad, but if you don't have any idea's on how to fill pages put some quizzes and competitions in the middle. Always fun once your in the bath after a long day :D!