Horse and Hound lost the plot?

horsebenny

Visit site
Is it just me or is it very wrong for a reputable equestrian magazine like Horse and Hound to publish in it's centre pages a pic of 'H&H's Sarah Jenkins' riding a stallion in no hat and in what look suspiciously like Ugg boots. Really? Is that a good example to be setting? To me that is wrong on so many levels...

Summer pudding

Visit site
Is it just me or is it very wrong for a reputable equestrian magazine like Horse and Hound to publish in it's centre pages a pic of 'H&H's Sarah Jenkins' riding a stallion in no hat and in what look suspiciously like Ugg boots. Really? Is that a good example to be setting? To me that is wrong on so many levels...
I don't think they should include pics of anyone riding without a hat and that inc the Queen..I expect to be shot down...am ducking!

popsdosh

Visit site
Apart from sending the wrong message to it's readers, she should know better anyway!

I expect I will get shot down! however she is doing nothing that is illegal !! Luckily it is still personal choice not saying I advocate it however she is perfectly entitled to ride without a hat if she wishes.

Clodagh

Visit site
I expect I will get shot down! however she is doing nothing that is illegal !! Luckily it is still personal choice not saying I advocate it however she is perfectly entitled to ride without a hat if she wishes.

I'm with you. Reading everyone elses comments you can see where the Nanny State came from. Health and Safety is a growth industry.

horsebenny

Visit site
I don't dispute that she can choose to ride without a hat and in Ugg boots (the stupid woman can ride in high heels and a tiara for all I care!) however completely dumb that might be, but they shouldn't publish pictures like that in Horse and Hound

Summer pudding

Visit site
I don't dispute that she can choose to ride without a hat and in Ugg boots (the stupid woman can ride in high heels and a tiara for all I care!) however completely dumb that might be, but they shouldn't publish pictures like that in Horse and Hound

The point I was trying to make.....H&H make it policy..simples..if you don't wear a hat your pic won't be included whoever you are.

Clodagh

Visit site
I never rode without a hat when I was young, even though lots of people didn't bother then. I do think you have to give some people some credit, we are not all completely sheeplike.

fatponee

Visit site
IMHO as the Editor of the world's most well known equestrian magazine, not only should she set an example to readers who may be influenced by what they see, but that she must know only too well the risks of riding without a hat.

My opinion only, not trying to cause a fight! :)

Polar Bear9

Visit site
Probably not their greatest move ever. I have no problem with people risking their own heads in their spare time (if they are over 18) but to publish it in such a well known magazine is asking for criticism. Although I have just had to carefully scan the pages to find it, from the OP I thought it was gonna be a huge spread.

Summer pudding

Visit site
Except for the Queen surely!

Missing my original point..inc the Queen. By not wearing a hat she is sending the message that it's OK and safe. H&H is not being asked to comment but just to have a blanket ban on everyone who doesn't wear a hat, what's not to like....or am I missing the point - are there lots of people out there who don't always wear a hat?!

Arizahn

Visit site
I haven't read the issue and this thread isn't going to change that. The Queen may do as she pleases, as may everyone else regarding hats, imo.

vanrim

Visit site
I don't think any of you know the history of that photo. There was a feature in 2008 about Diamond Hit and she went to Germany to interview Emma Hindle about him. I remember because I had used him on my mare that year. She did not expect to ride anything and so had not gone prepared. Emma obviously trusted the horse and offered to let her ride him which she did. I have to confess I would have said yes too given the opportunity to ride such a great stallion and I NEVER ride without a hat. Obviously times have changed now and it wouldn't happen today which is what H&H says in the article!

Dunlin

Visit site
H&H is not a "serial offender", this genuinely seems like a one off thing, as vanrim says above, she was not expecting to ride so to get some lovely photographs of her riding such a great Stallion it would be a shame not to publish them. This is Horse and Hound, not Pony magazine, if the audience had been strictly children then there may be a point as you can see children as being influenced more than adults by what others wear but where does this end? What next, to not publish Hunting pictures where the rider is wearing a Patey or a Dressage rider in a top hat?

vanrim

Visit site
Exactly.

H&H is not a "serial offender", this genuinely seems like a one off thing, as vanrim says above, she was not expecting to ride so to get some lovely photographs of her riding such a great Stallion it would be a shame not to publish them. This is Horse and Hound, not Pony magazine, if the audience had been strictly children then there may be a point as you can see children as being influenced more than adults by what others wear but where does this end? What next, to not publish Hunting pictures where the rider is wearing a Patey or a Dressage rider in a top hat?

popsdosh

Visit site
Missing my original point..inc the Queen. By not wearing a hat she is sending the message that it's OK and safe. H&H is not being asked to comment but just to have a blanket ban on everyone who doesn't wear a hat, what's not to like....or am I missing the point - are there lots of people out there who don't always wear a hat?!

So H&H have to conform to what you feel is acceptable ? You say you are not asking them to comment but you are by their actions!
There are plenty that still dont wear a hat and they tend to be from one discipline!

horsebenny

Visit site
I don't think any of you know the history of that photo. There was a feature in 2008 about Diamond Hit and she went to Germany to interview Emma Hindle about him. I remember because I had used him on my mare that year. She did not expect to ride anything and so had not gone prepared. Emma obviously trusted the horse and offered to let her ride him which she did. I have to confess I would have said yes too given the opportunity to ride such a great stallion and I NEVER ride without a hat. Obviously times have changed now and it wouldn't happen today which is what H&H says in the article!

And that exactly why they shouldn't have published the picture.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site

Horse riding IS dangerous - so why stop there? Why not insist on everyone wearing a back protector? In fact you should probably get rid of the whole racing, hunting and eventing sections. And once you have cleaned up H&H you can start on the motoring magazines, because getting in my car every day must be statistically several thousand times more dangerous than riding without a hat, so I definitely need protecting from that.

popsdosh

Visit site
That wasn't the point, the point was that H&H shouldn't publish pics of hatless riders.

Why?

If not because you think they should conform to your views! Like I say I always wear a hat however its other peoples choice if they do or not I dont see the issue being raised here because at present it is only illegal for any youngster under 14 not to wear a hat! and then only on a road.

Last edited:

Welly

Visit site
she can do as she pleases, H&H can print what they like, and you have the right to comment on it, It's called a free country. But if you feel so strongly about hats lobby your MP and the government to stop the VAT on them!

horsebenny

Visit site
Why?

If not because you think they should conform to your views! Like I say I always wear a hat however its other peoples choice if they do or not I dont see the issue being raised here because at present it is only illegal for any youngster under 14 not to wear a hat! and then only on a road.

Because they are allegedly a responsible journal.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Because they are allegedly a responsible journal.

But you are imposing on them your idea of what is responsible - personally I have more of an issue with pictures of obese showing horses than riders without hats when it comes to being a responsible journal TBH.