Horse and Hound lost the plot?

Pennythetank

Visit site
Honestly if somebody refuses to wear a hat because they saw a picture of somebody riding in uggs, call it natural selection.....
A picture like that, surrounded by tons of other pictures of hat wearing riders isn't going to affect many people at all.

popsdosh

Visit site
The should set a consistently good example as they are in a responsible position.

TO do what! You still have not explainedf why its such an issue! You obviously only think your view has any merit when most responses really cant see an issue! Bizarre!!

horsebenny

Visit site
TO do what! You still have not explainedf why its such an issue! You obviously only think your view has any merit when most responses really cant see an issue! Bizarre!!

Oh for goodness sake! If you really don't think H&H should be setting an example then THAT is bizarre!

popsdosh

Visit site
Oh for goodness sake! If you really don't think H&H should be setting an example then THAT is bizarre!

Example of what and for what Purpose? Serious question. If it was not in there we would not be having this discussion so maybe it has achieved more than if it had not been shown! . I dont need anybody to tell me not to put my hand in the fire. What would not showing that picture achieve or are you jealous of the Uggs!

Last edited:

horsebenny

Visit site
Example of what and for what Purpose? Serious question. If it was not in there we would not be having this discussion so maybe it has achieved more than if it had not been shown! . I dont need anybody to tell me not to put my hand in the fire. What would not showing that picture achieve or are you jealous of the Uggs!

'Jealous of the Uggs'?? What on earth are you on about?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
The should set a consistently good example as they are in a responsible position.

Yes, I appreciate that. But I'm not sure what they are responsible for - the average reader*or every mindless idiot that may flick through their magazine?

Btw, I am not saying that everyone who chooses to ride without a hat is a mindless idiot, just those that would do so because of*one picture in a magazine.

xch4r

Visit site
I didn't read all of these comments, I got to about page 6 and was peeing myself with laughter.

It's not up to you to decide if people should wear hats or not. I wear a hat because I'm not a muppet and value my brain however if people don't want to wear a hat that's their choice. I also wouldn't penalise HandH for publishing pics of people not wearing hats. I mean for gods sake when is it going to stop? Will every article have to have people wearing full body armour, and horses wearing every type of protective boot possible?

I'd like to point out that the NHS argument is also absurd, as Im pretty sure obese people probably cost us more than the few people who fall off and actually need to go to hospital. My father fell off and broke his back... And he was decked to the eyeballs in body armour as he was playing polo so just because you are wearing protective gear doesn't mean you are not going to have an injury.

Another point.... How many children actually read... And I mean READ H&H and not just flick through? I know I didn't read it, i was in to pony magazine and if I ever looked at H&H I just flicked to the for sale pages!!

People can make their own decisions as it is their own life and we shouldn't judge. H&H can publish whatever photos they like, really. If people are silly enough to be swayed by a photograph then more fool them.

silv

Visit site
I didn't read all of these comments, I got to about page 6 and was peeing myself with laughter.

It's not up to you to decide if people should wear hats or not. I wear a hat because I'm not a muppet and value my brain however if people don't want to wear a hat that's their choice. I also wouldn't penalise HandH for publishing pics of people not wearing hats. I mean for gods sake when is it going to stop? Will every article have to have people wearing full body armour, and horses wearing every type of protective boot possible?

I'd like to point out that the NHS argument is also absurd, as Im pretty sure obese people probably cost us more than the few people who fall off and actually need to go to hospital. My father fell off and broke his back... And he was decked to the eyeballs in body armour as he was playing polo so just because you are wearing protective gear doesn't mean you are not going to have an injury.

Another point.... How many children actually read... And I mean READ H&H and not just flick through? I know I didn't read it, i was in to pony magazine and if I ever looked at H&H I just flicked to the for sale pages!!

People can make their own decisions as it is their own life and we shouldn't judge. H&H can publish whatever photos they like, really. If people are silly enough to be swayed by a photograph then more fool them.

Couldn't have put it better myself! well said.

horsebenny

Visit site

Perhaps you should've read more closely then. I said people can wear what they like, I couldn't care less if they want to risk their own heads, but H&H should set a good example.

horsebenny

Visit site
oh, please, dont flatter yourself, people are just disagreeing with you.

(I wondered how long before term "bullying" would be in the air)

I'm perfectly happy for people to disagree with me but then get called things like 'hat nazi' just for having a different view. I've seen it happen loads of times on this forum. It's about time some people left the playground mentality behind.

horsebenny

Visit site
But, HB, if everyone agreed all the time what would be the point of forums? Or discussion boards?

Totally, totally agree and that's what I was hoping for, intelligent debate. As I said early on, I don't care if Sarah Jenkins rides in thigh heels and a tiara I just don't think a publication like Horse and Hound should publish a picture of their most senior editorial staff member doing so.

catkin

Visit site
Actually, if this thread is a sample of discussions within their readership, H&H have got it spot on.

The primary responsibility of the H&H staff, like it or not, is to put together a magazine that sells - and a bit of controversy and discussion is a great way of getting publicity. How many having read this thread have either re-read their copy or gone out to find one?

horsebenny

Visit site
Actually, if this thread is a sample of discussions within their readership, H&H have got it spot on.

The primary responsibility of the H&H staff, like it or not, is to put together a magazine that sells - and a bit of controversy and discussion is a great way of getting publicity. How many having read this thread have either re-read their copy or gone out to find one?

Good point, and given the number of views of this thread that may be a lot.

littleshetland

Visit site
Good thread - very thought provoking and quite funny.
Avery good friend of mine, some years back was shopping on the High Street - crossed the road to chat to friend, second later was mown down by a car and killed - whilst standing on the pavement chatting. My point here is, we can find real risks in everything we do - granted - some activities a far more risky than others, and it's up to us to make the decisions for ourselves and our dependants on the probability of harm coming our way. If H and H print a picture of a hatless rider - so what? big deal - use it to promote a discussion on riding hats and safety issues - make it a positive thing (which is whats happening here).... If we fill our lives with only sanitised and politically correct images that conform at all times to the correct safety standards - how can that leave room for debate and independent thought?
Perhaps we should stop watching F1 on tv - after all - we don't want people to think they can drive their cars everywhere at 150mph?

BTW Horsebenny - you're not MrsD123 are you?

horsebenny

Visit site
Good thread - very thought provoking and quite funny.
Avery good friend of mine, some years back was shopping on the High Street - crossed the road to chat to friend, second later was mown down by a car and killed - whilst standing on the pavement chatting. My point here is, we can find real risks in everything we do - granted - some activities a far more risky than others, and it's up to us to make the decisions for ourselves and our dependants on the probability of harm coming our way. If H and H print a picture of a hatless rider - so what? big deal - use it to promote a discussion on riding hats and safety issues - make it a positive thing (which is whats happening here).... If we fill our lives with only sanitised and politically correct images that conform at all times to the correct safety standards - how can that leave room for debate and independent thought?
Perhaps we should stop watching F1 on tv - after all - we don't want people to think they can drive their cars everywhere at 150mph?

BTW Horsebenny - you're not MrsD123 are you?

Mrs who? No I'm not. I'm simply a life long horse owner with a concern over a pic I think it was irresponsible to print, although I know (and knew) some others would disagree.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Totally, totally agree and that's what I was hoping for, intelligent debate.

Except that all you've done the entire thread is reiterate that you think H&H should set an example without explanation or expansion on that concept, with a few poorly reasoned platitudes thrown in for good measure.

You still haven't answered my question about whether they should also ban photos of riders in top hats...

horsebenny

Visit site
Except that all you've done the entire thread is reiterate that you think H&H should set an example without explanation or expansion on that concept, with a few poorly reasoned platitudes thrown in for good measure.

You still haven't answered my question about whether they should also ban photos of riders in top hats...

Of course not and that is totally missing the point (again). Sarah Jenkins is the Editor (by another name) and is therefore in a position of responsibility. It was a naive editorial decision.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Of course not and that is totally missing the point (again). Sarah Jenkins is the Editor (by another name) and is therefore in a position of responsibility. It was a naive editorial decision.

So what about if (hypothetically), top hats were no longer permitted in competition, but they showed an historical picture of a dressage rider (for argument's sake this rider is also an editor), wearing one?

horsebenny

Visit site
So what about if (hypothetically), top hats were no longer permitted in competition, but they showed an historical picture of a dressage rider (for argument's sake this rider is also an editor), wearing one?

For me that would largely depend on the context. If it was truly 'historical' and added something to the piece then it would be appropriate (one assumes this hypothetical rider would also be wearing suitable footwear and not Ugg boots?). I trained as, and have been, a journalist on newspapers and magazines and for me this pic added nothing to the piece (except maybe a bit of self promotion for the Editor) and was something best kept in the archives for a piece on how not to dress to ride a stallion.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Totally, totally agree and that's what I was hoping for, intelligent debate. As I said early on, I don't care if Sarah Jenkins rides in thigh heels and a tiara I just don't think a publication like Horse and Hound should publish a picture of their most senior editorial staff member doing

You wanted intelligent debate?. In fact you have not offered any debate at all. You have simply stated this point of view over and over and over again without putting forward a single reason to support that point of view.

Like most people on the thread, I disagree with you.

horsebenny

Visit site
You wanted intelligent debate?. In fact you have not offered any debate at all. You have simply stated this point of view over and over and over again without putting forward a single reason to support that point of view.

Like most people on the thread, I disagree with you.

I would disagree that most people disagree. Those who have chosen to be vocal are a tiny minority compared to those who have read the thread. Many of those, I suspect, don't reply because they don't want to put themselves in the firing line to be shouted down, which often happens on this forum. You have your opinion, I disagree with it.

Nancykitt

Wester Ross, the beautiful NW coast of Scotland
Visit site
I have to say that I wasn't aware of who the editor was...I just pick up the magazine and read it, in my preferred order (news, letters, hunting stuff, etc etc).
As far as the hat thing is concerned, yes, I don't really like to see pictures of hatless riders anywhere. But if we were to consider the number of photos of riders with hats compared to hatless in a publication like H&H, I'm sure that the proportion of hatless photos would be absolutely miniscule. It is very much the exception and not the norm and that's how it should be. So I'm not going to worry too much about a single photo, especially as no-one is putting a positive spin on it - ie, saying it's 'cool' to be hatless, or anything like that.
Good points about banning hats that are regarded as 'unsafe' too. I would not personally choose to ride in a top hat or a Patey but the photos do not offend me in any way.
I have a Charles Owen 'Fiona' hat for hunting and I love it but it will no longer be 'competition legal' soon. As I don't compete I will continue to wear it for hunting. Once people start to dictate what can and can't be worn outside competition regulations it's a slippery slope!