Horse and Hound lost the plot?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I would disagree that most people disagree. Those who have chosen to be vocal are a tiny minority compared to those who have read the thread. Many of those, I suspect, don't reply because they don't want to put themselves in the firing line to be shouted down, which often happens on this forum. You have your opinion, I disagree with it.

For a journalist, you aren't very effective at debate, I'm afraid. I said 'most people on this thread' , not 'most people on this forum', which is how you have answered me. No-one has been shouted down on this thread.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
For me that would largely depend on the context. If it was truly 'historical' and added something to the piece then it would be appropriate (one assumes this hypothetical rider would also be wearing suitable footwear and not Ugg boots?). I trained as, and have been, a journalist on newspapers and magazines and for me this pic added nothing to the piece (except maybe a bit of self promotion for the Editor) and was something best kept in the archives for a piece on how not to dress to ride a stallion.

Oh ok I see - so you thought the photo was self absorbed and had little journalistic merit. You don't think any harm could come from the picture but it irritates you that someone could put themselves in the public eye in such a shallow and mindless way?

And whether it does any damage or not, you prefer editors with more integrity?

ribbons

Visit site
I would disagree that most people disagree. Those who have chosen to be vocal are a tiny minority compared to those who have read the thread. Many of those, I suspect, don't reply because they don't want to put themselves in the firing line to be shouted down, which often happens on this forum. You have your opinion, I disagree with it.

Why is it that when a poster gets more in the way of disagreement the reason is usually given that those who are in agreement, although numerous, dare not post, for fear of being bullied or shouted at.
I doubt that's true, although its an amusing idea.

horsebenny

Visit site
For a journalist, you aren't very effective at debate, I'm afraid. I said 'most people on this thread' , not 'most people on this forum', which is how you have answered me. No-one has been shouted down on this thread.

Wrong again I'm afraid. I said most people who had read this tread as opposed to posting on it . That's very different to everyone on this Forum. I haven't allowed myself to be shouted down on this forum (much to some people's evident frustration).

horsebenny

Visit site
Oh ok I see - so you thought the photo was self absorbed and had little journalistic merit. You don't think any harm could come from the picture but it irritates you that someone could put themselves in the public eye in such a shallow and mindless way?

Partly right. I don't think the photo should be published because it sets a bad example which someone in her position should be aware of. That is was published with no contextual merit does smack of vanity to me.

horsebenny

Visit site

Partly right. I don't think the photo should be published because it sets a bad example which someone in her position should be aware of. That is was published with no contextual merit does smack of vanity to me.

horsebenny

Visit site
Why is it that when a poster gets more in the way of disagreement the reason is usually given that those who are in agreement, although numerous, dare not post, for fear of being bullied or shouted at.

You might be right, but then again I might be...

RaposadeGengibre

Visit site
I'm perfectly happy for people to disagree with me but then get called things like 'hat nazi' just for having a different view. I've seen it happen loads of times on this forum. It's about time some people left the playground mentality behind.

Of course "arrogant rot" sounds much better :lol:

If somebody keeps shoving opinion for a trivial matter (and to clarify straight away by "trivial" I mean an old photo of a hatless rider only) despite the fact that majority is disagreeing, oh yes, its being hat nazi. imho obviously :).

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site

Ok, in that case I just don't agree with you. I haven't seen the photo but would probably find it irritating too - a horse isn't proven to be safe just because someone gets on it without a hat so it's a bit of a pointless example.

But I don't think it does any harm and I certainly wouldn't advocate a ban based on a bad journalistic decision (otherwise the media would soon be left with very little to print).

horsebenny

Visit site
Ok, in that case I just don't agree with you. I haven't seen the photo but would probably find it irritating too - a horse isn't proven to be safe just because someone gets on it without a hat so it's a bit of a pointless example.

But I don't think it does any harm and I certainly wouldn't advocate a ban based on a bad journalistic decision (otherwise the media would soon be left with very little to print).

Good points and we agree to disagree.

horsebenny

Visit site

Good points and we agree to disagree.

RaposadeGengibre

Visit site

I am really perplexed now...
How anybody could be able to know whats peoples opinions and why they are not posting? Another question is how would you "shout" on a forum? :lol:
In my short life here I have seen quite a few threads where people was going "against the grain" without consequences .

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Very interesting thread.

I haven't seen the photo, and would probably find it quite unprofessional if I did, but we are all free spirits, and if Sarah Jenkins wishes to ride without a hat, then that's her decision, and I respect her. We have no right to tell others what to do, and what not to do with their own heads. Yes, there are many scenarios that could of happened, the horse could of spooked or tripped, and she could of hit her head etc, but thankfully they didn't happen.

Should H&H not post photos of this sort of thing? Personally I'd say no, as I don't think it's a regular occurrence, and people must very silly to ride without a hat due to seeing a photo in H&H, but that's just my personal opinion.

I personally don't like seeing people out hunting with just a Patey on (no body protector or air jacket), or horses jumping stone walls without knee boots, but that's their choice and decision, and we must respect that.

I don't advocate riding without a hat, however it's your choice.

Last edited:

only_me

Visit site
I think it's a bit much to expect HH to only publish photos that show the rider wearing a hat. As someone else has said, just because a publication publishes something doesn't mean that everyone will follow it like gospel!

I rode hatless while working on safari. It doesn't mean I won't wear a hat at home!

It's personal choice - you might think others are stupid for not wearing one but that's your opinion :)
And for those who say the NHS will have to pick up the pieces - they have to do it for drunks, druggies, morbidly obese patients etc. so whats the difference?!

AmieeT

Visit site
Very interesting thread.

I haven't seen the photo, and would probably find it quite unprofessional if I did, but we are all free spirits, and if Sarah Jenkins wishes to ride without a hat, then that's her decision, and I respect her. We have no right to tell others what to do, and what not to do with their own heads. Yes, there are many scenarios that could of happened, the horse could of spooked or tripped, and she could of hit her head etc, but thankfully they didn't happen.

Should H&H not post photos of this sort of thing? Personally I'd say no, as I don't think it's a regular occurrence, and people must very silly to ride without a hat due to seeing a photo in H&H, but that's just my personal opinion.

I personally don't like seeing people out hunting with just a Patey on (no body protector or air jacket), or horses jumping stone walls without knee boots, but that's their choice and decision, and we must respect that.

I don't advocate riding without a hat, however it's your choice.

Agree.

Think this is OTT tbh. People that ride without a hat know the risk they take. Children should be well educated about the dangers and that responsibility lies with the parents and instructors. We are lucky to have a publication that advocates the use of a hat, considering that in a lot of other countries it's fairly uncommon to wear one.

Ax

SpringArising

Visit site
And for those who say the NHS will have to pick up the pieces - they have to do it for drunks, druggies, morbidly obese patients etc. so whats the difference?!

The difference is that the things you have mentioned above are addictions. Not wearing a hat isn't an addiction, it's a choice.

Goldenstar

Visit site
No they have not lost the plot .
They are not the health and safety executive they are a lifestyle magazine .
They cover safety issues all the time.
I am not so soft minded that a picture of someone on a horse in UGG boots makes me want to do commit such an act myself .
H and H is an adult magazine I wish to treated as an adult .

Goldenstar

Visit site
No they have not lost the plot .
They are not the health and safety executive they are a lifestyle magazine .
They cover safety issues all the time.
I am not so soft minded that a picture of someone on a horse in UGG boots makes me want to do commit such an act myself .
H and H is an adult magazine I wish to treated as an adult .

only_me

Visit site
The difference is that the things you have mentioned above are addictions. Not wearing a hat isn't an addiction, it's a choice.

People can choose to go out and drink themselves stupid, doesn't mean they are addicted. Morbidly obese people could exercise more, eat less. Yes druggies may ve addicted but what about the people who take uppers at a party to try?

For those not addicted it is a choice - just like those who choose to not wear a hat.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Of course not and that is totally missing the point (again). Sarah Jenkins is the Editor (by another name) and is therefore in a position of responsibility. It was a naive editorial decision.

I think you'll find that you're missing my point, actually. If riding without proper head protection is irresponsible, and should not be shown in the media, why is it acceptable to show photos from competitions (of any sort) where improper protection is worn? You can't have it all ways, and shout that everyone is missing your point... We get your point - but it's not a very sophisticated line of argument...

teabiscuit

Visit site
Whilst I disagree vehemently with the P irelli notion that wearing a hat means you've not trained your horse to the right standard, as long as the editor wasn't advocating hatless riding I don't see the problem.

horsebenny

Visit site
I think you'll find that you're missing my point, actually. If riding without proper head protection is irresponsible, and should not be shown in the media, why is it acceptable to show photos from competitions (of any sort) where improper protection is worn? You can't have it all ways, and shout that everyone is missing your point... We get your point - but it's not a very sophisticated line of argument...

It's quite a simple point which I would've thought most people could understand even if they don't agree with it. Or so I thought...

JFTDWS

Visit site
And there's absolutely no point in continuing this discussion if you are unwilling or unable to discuss beyond that point.

popsdosh

Visit site

Of course it could not be that a large majority totally disagree with you. I have never found others are slow coming forward when they agree with a thread. I think you are just upset nobody agrees with you full stop.

Please explain what damage has that picture caused? Please try and answer it as trotting out the same old 'its irresponsible' line is wearing thin and frankly making you look stupid beyond belief. Plenty have asked the question and up till now you have refused to answer it in any way that makes sense . Do you wish to read a magazine that is censored ,please accept people are very capable of making up their own minds on this subject.

Last edited:

horsebenny

Visit site
Of course it could not be that a large majority totally disagree with you. I have never found others are slow coming forward when they agree with a thread. I think you are just upset nobody agrees with you full stop.

That's nonsense. I don't care if people agree with me or not and you may be right that the vast majority disagree with me or I may be right that they don't. It is an emotive subject and as I know from PMs folk don't always want to put themselves in the firing line. I however don't give a damn.

popsdosh

Visit site
That's nonsense. I don't care if people agree with me or not and you may be right that the vast majority disagree with me or I may be right that they don't. It is an emotive subject and as I know from PMs folk don't always want to put themselves in the firing line. I however don't give a damn.

Obviously !! Why is it an emotive subject? People just dont agree with your point of view !
How old are you as you are acting like a spoilt teenager to be honest! I guess your PMs are another fantasy.

Last edited:

horsebenny

Visit site
Obviously !! Why is it an emotive subject? People just dont agree with your point of view !
How old are you as you are acting like a spoilt teenager to be honest! I guess your PMs are another fantasy.

And this personal attack is exactly why people don't post. I'm 50 so don't try to bully me, it won't work, sorry.