Horse and Hound lost the plot?

applecart14

Visit site
I just wanted to post this to upset the hat-nazis.

Huaso (1933 - August 24, 1961), ridden by Chilean Captain Alberto Larraguibel, setting the high-jump world record on February 5, 1949, by jumping 2.47 m (8 ft 1 in) in Viña del Mar, Chile, one of the longest-running unbroken sport records in history (64 years).

The simple reason? Because in those days people didn't realise the consequences of riding without a hat. The head injury and the resultant problems that come with such an injury. Roll on 18 years and my head injury classed 'severe concussion' still has an impact on my life. I suffered from migraines for years afterwards, and I have problems with recognition of faces, long term memory, relating something to someone with a 'thread' and sometimes get very frustrated trying to explain things to people, sometimes it results in me becoming angry with frustration and teary. Those that know me well understand.

Just because they did something in 'the old days' doesn't mean it was sensible or clever!

Arizahn

Visit site
I agree. Having lost a fellow livery who had a head injury and died (was wearing a hat but not her own) and me that was fitting with eyes rolling into the back of my head and intensive care overnight after a bad concussion, again whilst wearing a hat, it beggars belief that people will ride without one, like people drive without a seatbelt, drink when drunk, ride without fluorescent, etc, etc. But its their decision at the end of the day.

But I agree a blanket ban in publications, and a ban on riding on road and livery yards too for those that ride without hats. Just out of interest I would love to know if anything could ever come back on a livery yard owner that let someone without a hat ride in their school and something happened. I assume it would come back on a competition centre for example.

As someone who has often woken up in hospital after a serious neurological event, I'm offended by your choice of words here.

applecart14

Visit site
As someone who has often woken up in hospital after a serious neurological event, I'm offended by your choice of words here.

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean. After the fall I had (horse went down on shoulder and I was catapaulted off landing on my head) - an off duty police lady who was a livery on the yard drove me to hospital as she suspected I had a head injury. I started talking strangely to her on the way and she knew I was in trouble. On arrival at hospital I was combative with the consultant (typical head injury) and I was fitting and my eyes were rolling back into the back of my head. I was blue light to a hospital with a CAT scanner as my hospital didn't have one at the time. I was in intensive care overnight. Wasn't being glib in the slightest. There was a suspicion that I had a bleed on the brain, fortunately I didn't but the problems that I have now (much less than before) are as a result of this injury, all those years ago.

Last edited:

Firefly9410

Visit site
I have not read all the replies so I apologise if this has already been said. H&H is a hunting magazine, there are no hat rules in hunting other than dress code rules. How could they ban photos of people who do not wear hats to a modern safety standard or at all? They could end up with no pics left! As for the Queen, I love her and like to see photos of her I do not care what she wears on her head. She is happy with her choice and always looks smart that is good enough for me. I sometimes buy magazines just because there is a photo of her. magazines are not a public service they are a business and will mostly be concerned with what sells. If you dislike hatless photos maybe you could refuse to buy anything with them in? It would have bigger impact I think than moaning on here.

armchair_rider

Visit site
Its clearly stated that it's an old photo and is included to emphasise the faith that Emma Hindle has in his temperament. In the context of the article it seems fine to me that it's included. H&H often include old photos, some have shown riders wearing hats without chinstraps, or well known riders as children jumping huge fences without a body protector for example but I can't see that it encourages anyone to copy. I like to see these old photos, it would be a huge pity if they had to excluded for H&S reasons or photo shopped to match current safety standards!

I would hate to see old photos being excluded/photoshopped to make them more acceptable to modern viewers. And i'm not sure they'd be very influential anyway - people are no less likely to leave their hat off because of an old photo than they are to hack out in a hacking jacket

The simple reason? Because in those days people didn't realise the consequences of riding without a hat. The head injury and the resultant problems that come with such an injury. Roll on 18 years and my head injury classed 'severe concussion' still has an impact on my life. I suffered from migraines for years afterwards, and I have problems with recognition of faces, long term memory, relating something to someone with a 'thread' and sometimes get very frustrated trying to explain things to people, sometimes it results in me becoming angry with frustration and teary. Those that know me well understand.

Just because they did something in 'the old days' doesn't mean it was sensible or clever!

I think it's more a case of not having effective hats on offer - I get the impression that, as hats have improved, people have become more likely to wear them. People certainly understood the potential consequences of head injuries even if they didn't understand the mechanisms.

I do agree with the last sentence of your post though

SpringArising

Visit site
If someone doesn't wear a hat because they 'have faith in their horse', then I am truly in awe of their naïvety. Has no safe horse ever tripped over, fallen down, been spooked by a bird suddenly jumping out of a hedge or simply had a fright and taken off?

Any sane horse person never 100% trusts any horse. It's impossible to believe that nothing unexpected will ever happen around something with a brain of its own.

For those saying "So where does it stop? Should we all wear back protectors or stop riding completely?" - no. That's not what anybody is saying. It's about taking the steps to reduce unnecessary risks. You obviously know that riding is dangerous, so why would you not want to do everything in your power to make it as safe as possible?

If some people don't want to wear a hat, I really don't care; as long as you don't have any family or friends who will be the ones wiping your a$$ after your faithful horse has had a bucking fit and you have knocked your skull on the way down.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Helmets were not safety items many years ago, for horse riders and motorbikers.
Seatbelts in cars were not mandatory.

Fast forwards to this century & its been found that using both the above does save lives as proven by facts.
Its mandatory to wear seatbelts in moving vehicles, also for motorbikers to wear helmets.
Also mandatory to wear recognised safety helmets when competing on horseback, some even (shock horror to some here) having to wear body protectors too!

Anyways, back to the OP - totally agree that H&H ought to be setting standards not applying it as & when they think its required.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Fwiw, I think getting up in arms about a single photo of a hatless rider with an explanation in the text is in the realms of the professionally offended. Like a previous poster, I feel more strongly about the multitude of photos of obese show horses every week.

It's one photo of an unusual situation. They're hardly publishing photos of dozens of kids with the title "hatless is fun! Who cares if you become a vegetable!"

Also, if I hear one more mention of "back protectors" I'm going to scream. Body protectors. Because that's what they're designed to protect :/

applecart14

Visit site
Fwiw, I think getting up in arms about a single photo of a hatless rider with an explanation in the text is in the realms of the professionally offended. Like a previous poster, I feel more strongly about the multitude of photos of obese show horses every week.

It's one photo of an unusual situation. They're hardly publishing photos of dozens of kids with the title "hatless is fun! Who cares if you become a vegetable!"

Also, if I hear one more mention of "back protectors" I'm going to scream. Body protectors. Because that's what they're designed to protect :/
Ha ha, you would hate me then as I keep referring to my air jacket as an air bag. lol :)

minesadouble

Visit site
I do think we need to remember that whilst wearing a hat is sensible and advisable it is not a legal requirement (unless a minor riding on roads).
As for body protectors I'm interested to know how far they have come. I am old enough to remember the introduction of body protectors into the horsey community and I also remember that they would protect you from bruising but that they would not prevent broken bones. I assume they must have progressed since those days.
However I see quite frequently in Facebook people saying 'my body protector saved my life' I have to say I very much doubt that that is the case!
Photos in H&H of hatless riders do not concern me at all, the 'nanny state' mentality bothers me a lot!

JFTDWS

Visit site
AppleCart, whilst the colloquial nature of that term is one I would be disclined to use personally, it is not deeply and erroneously misleading in the manner in which "back protector" is - no back protector offers significant spinal protection, other than possibly from penetrating injuries...

Clodagh

Visit site
If someone doesn't wear a hat because they 'have faith in their horse', then I am truly in awe of their naïvety. Has no safe horse ever tripped over, fallen down, been spooked by a bird suddenly jumping out of a hedge or simply had a fright and taken off?

Any sane horse person never 100% trusts any horse. It's impossible to believe that nothing unexpected will ever happen around something with a brain of its own.

For those saying "So where does it stop? Should we all wear back protectors or stop riding completely?" - no. That's not what anybody is saying. It's about taking the steps to reduce unnecessary risks. You obviously know that riding is dangerous, so why would you not want to do everything in your power to make it as safe as possible?

If some people don't want to wear a hat, I really don't care; as long as you don't have any family or friends who will be the ones wiping your a$$ after your faithful horse has had a bucking fit and you have knocked your skull on the way down.

But those of us who think you are being ridiculous don't necessarily not wear hats - I always wear a hat, my chidren wear hats and body protectors (when younger) I just don't see a pic of someone riding without one and think 'dammit that looks cool' and take off bareheaded. Earlier, when I said sheeplike that was what I meant - I can see a picture of a page 3 girl and keep my top on too. (Thank goodness say the population).

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Mimi
AppleCart, whilst the colloquial nature of that term is one I would be disclined to use personally, it is not deeply and erroneously misleading in the manner in which "back protector" is - no back protector offers significant spinal protection, other than possibly from penetrating injuries...

It's older people that it's come from jftd. The first ones back in the mists of time only covered your back, not the front of your body, and so they were called back protectors, not body protectors, and people have just stuck with the habit.

Bustermartin

Visit site
Mimi

It's older people that it's come from jftd. The first ones back in the mists of time only covered your back, not the front of your body, and so they were called back protectors, not body protectors, and people have just stuck with the habit.

'Back in the mists of time........' how old do I feel now!!!!!!!!!!!!

horsebenny

Visit site

Totally agree. When I was a kid a lady in our village had the safest, quietest horse you could find - she even used to hack to the local shop and throw her shopping over his back. She did that for years. One day, out of the blue, he got a fright and bolted. She died.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site

The point is that the vast majority of people do wear hats and one photo in a magazine among a sea of photos of riders with hats is not going to stop them wearing one.

I neither need nor want protection from seeing images of people being irresponsible. And I don't want to read a magazine that I know has been censored in such a way.

Sleighfarer

Visit site
In the same issue of H&H there is a cover line about Jo Hamilton, the dressage rider, who recently sustained a brain injury falling in the school. She was wearing a hat, but the injuries would have been worse without it. As it is, she was in hospital for nine weeks and is still unable to ride.

Jericho

Visit site
Seeing someone ride without a hat doesn't make me think oh I will do that. I have a young daughter and I hope I have brought her up to understand the importance of wearing a hat AND not to do something just because someone else has...

popsdosh

Visit site
Perhaps a challenge for the Zealots would be to go through horse and hound and check out how many riders are wearing hats that conform to safety standards. To be blunt for every rider that becomes a burden on the NHS by not wearing a hat there will be one that is because they were! wearing hats does not stop riders becoming vegetables ! However I suspect that will go straight over your head!!

popsdosh

Visit site
This just about sums it up for me.

Exactly! Next they will stop pictures of jumping ,because they may fall off an injure themselves . I once saw a picture in the paper of somebody jumping off Beachy Head but something told me that was not a good idea!

horsebenny

Visit site
Exactly! Next they will stop pictures of jumping ,because they may fall off an injure themselves . I once saw a picture in the paper of somebody jumping off Beachy Head but something told me that was not a good idea!

Totally missing the point which was, whatever your stance on hats or no hats, that a responsible magazine shouldn't publish a picture of it pseudo-Editor riding a stallion without a hag and wearing Ugg boots.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Totally missing the point which was, whatever your stance on hats or no hats, that a responsible magazine shouldn't publish a picture of it pseudo-Editor riding a stallion without a hag and wearing Ugg boots.

Why not - what effect do you think publishing that picture will have? (genuinely curious)

Kaylum

Visit site
I was riding in the school on a bomb proof horse just trotting he tripped I went down with him he stood on my head am still alive, the hat has died though. irresponsible yes just like those photo shoots without hats and wedding dresses.

Last edited:

popsdosh

Visit site

Have you never heard the term . 'When you find yourself in a hole stop digging' !!

npage123

Visit site
I just wanted to post this to upset the hat-nazis.

Huaso (1933 - August 24, 1961), ridden by Chilean Captain Alberto Larraguibel, setting the high-jump world record on February 5, 1949, by jumping 2.47 m (8 ft 1 in) in Viña del Mar, Chile, one of the longest-running unbroken sport records in history (64 years).

Caution - should not be viewed by anyone after 1986 as contains scenes of riding without a hat - and apparently the horse (a stallion - pass me the smelling salts) was a nutter too!
Don't try this at home folks
;o)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DpcObFMaCs

I'm not joining this discussion - just wanted to thank you for that link pennyturner. I never would have found that video by chance whilst browing the web. What an amazing jump, but I hope the horse didn't have to do it at that height very often - his poor joints!