Horse and Pony Direct - Balancers?

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
I use the everyday balancer. H is a good doer, but needs omph. I now have her on HPD Everyday balancer and competition mix and have been really pleased. She looks great and has plenty of energy

starry23

Visit site
I used the low cal balancer for a while and really liked it. However I found out the starch content was over 15% which is quite high considering I have a cob prone to LGL and want to improve her hooves. Otherwise my horse did really well on it and they are a good company to deal with (delivery was always really fast etc) so I'd say their stuff is well worth a shot!

jm2k

Visit site
I used the low cal balancer for a while and really liked it. However I found out the starch content was over 15% which is quite high considering I have a cob prone to LGL and want to improve her hooves. Otherwise my horse did really well on it and they are a good company to deal with (delivery was always really fast etc) so I'd say their stuff is well worth a shot!

I raised this question with them as my horses all have very low sugar/starch feeds (as close to nil as possible).

They stated that due to the actual quantity which is being fed, say 400g, the 15.5% starch and 5% sugar is actually very low in administration?
Not too sure I believe them or not - if there is any feed whizkids on here?

spottydottypony

Visit site
My pony had a really bad reaction to thier low cal balancer. He is a good doer Fell and within 4 weeks his coat was scurvy and dull, had ulcers on his gums and was very depressed. I would not use it again i think you get what you pay for. It cost me a vet bill because in the end he wouldnt eat anything! I emailed them and did get a refund. It was the balancer because i didnot change anything else in his diet.

starry23

Visit site
I suppose in total the 20.5% might be a low value overall (in comparison to a normal forage diet) combined starch and sugar, that is still 1/5th of the feed and too me it just seems like too much. For horses with lami I have always been advised that the feed should be 10% total starch and sugar combined at the absolute most, the lower the better. I feed a forage plus balancer now. Sorry to go a little off topic!