Horse Anxiety...

Lynne78

Visit site
Hi All

I have had my mare for about 6 weeks now and she is perfect in every way, until i get on to ride her. She has never tried to get me off, she just seems to panic as she doesn't have me at her side and tries to sniff my legs at every opportunity.

Is there anything that I can work on/with to address this issue? I had thought of long-reigning....

Thanks in advance.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
How old is she?
How long has she been backed/broken?
What did her old owner do with her?
Is she better if you hack/ride with another bombproof horse?

Lynne78

Visit site
She is 7. She has been backed and broken for a while...but conflicting information on what her prev owner actually did with her. I have pictures from 3 years ago, jumping and being ridden by a teenager. But I have been told that she hasn't done much since then. I bought her as a project to re-school and bring on, so was aware of the work i needed to do.

If I have someone play "lead pony" in the school she relaxes but the minute that person leaves she starts jumping about and getting all stressed out. There is no malice in her jumping, its just she has lost her confidence.

I somehow need to get her to understand that mum is there and she can trust me even though I am not by her side.

Hope that helps....

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I agree that her confidence (or lack of it) seems to be the problem.

I would talk or sing to her alot, when on the ground or mounted. I would keep sessions very short to begin with and set things up to go well and end on a good note. It is easier to build on 5 mins that went well, than try to push for a 1/2 hour session that is full of stress.

I would lead her around the school on both reins, then mount and aim for a ridden circuit on both reins. Then dismount and lead her around again, then finish.

I would also try to ooze confidence as horses really pick up on this.

Build up the sessions slowly, if she starts to stress, go back a stage.