Horse anxious in field with no horses in sight

Storminateacup

2nd star on the right and straight on 'til morning
Visit site
My lovely girl has a super new field, but when she is out there she is anxious and neighing. This is because she can't see the other horses in adjacent field the whole time they are a field away from her on one side and several fields away on the other side. She is very reluctant to go back at night.
She seems dejected when I go to get her in at around midday.
I can only visit daily because of the distance and fuel costs nearly £200 per month with just a daily visit.
She is 19 and doesn't benefit from turnout with others as she gets bullied , but still prefers that to being isolated.
There are occasionally cows in the opposite field and also sheep 2/3 (pet) in field behind her, but the sheep appear to come in at night.
My horse has a winter paddock with no grass, now and a lovely huge field shelter. She is right next to 6 horses there and can see my friends two as well.
What should I do.
Keep using her winter corral and feed hay ( huge cost and not much left) or just be firm and put her out and hope she gets used to it.
If she got even 4 hours a day out there I'd have to stay the whole time, which isn't easy despite having tack room with coffee etc.
I hate to see her standing by the gate worried looking.
Owner says she does graze, I can't ask owner to turn out daily and bring in as she has little time and her husband is poorly recently out of hospital She's a good friend but wouldn't like to ask favours as she does a lot just letting me have my girl here for very little.
It's not practical for me to have a loan pony, or another horse I'm in my mid 66 and I cannot do extra work.
So what's best to do ?

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
See if another livery will share??

I’ve just moved to a new livery and the one downside is that my boy doesn’t have a field mate at the moment. He can groom and interact over the fence with 6 other horses but no one actuallly in his field as of yet. That may change going forwards but I don’t think I would like him completely isolated and nothing to interact with over the fence.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
What would you choose if you were her ?
Being moved out the way of the gate, water etc but being in z field knowing if the tigers were out hunting. Maybe upset fir a few hours a day or
Being terrified all night, pooping your pants cause your scared and alone, wondering when your going to die with no one to help raise the alarm.

I would prefer a nip or a kick to bring terrified all day/night

meleeka

Visit site
If there’s nobody else to share with I’d put her back in her winter field and feed hay. Mine are on a bare track at the moment because 2 are laminitis risk, so it’s usual for me to feed hay during the summer.

Is there ever any horses next door in her summer bit?

Storminateacup

Visit site
See if another livery will share??

I’ve just moved to a new livery and the one downside is that my boy doesn’t have a field mate at the moment. He can groom and interact over the fence with 6 other horses but no one actuallly in his field as of yet. That may change going forwards but I don’t think I would like him completely isolated and nothing to interact with over the fence.
I'm the only livery.

Storminateacup

Visit site
If there’s nobody else to share with I’d put her back in her winter field and feed hay. Mine are on a bare track at the moment because 2 are laminitis risk, so it’s usual for me to feed hay during the summer.

Is there ever any horses next door in her summer bit?

There was before I was offered the field. But that that horse moved away the day before ! Just my luck!
There are horses in sight but quite a distance away..

Squeak

Visit site
She sounds like she needs company of some sort in the new field. You could potentially see if a friend has a horse they're happy to lend or if you're able to rehome from a rescue. Otherwise if they're happy to take on another livery you could share teh field with you could sort it that way.

Is she happy with the sheep there? You could possibly ask to borrow them and let them use your field too?

Just a couple of thoughts, none of them may be helpful but if you can't get her some company of some sort I'd probably move her back to her winter paddock with hay. It might make things difficult for you in winter though if the field hasn't been able to have a rest.

PurBee

Visit site
A shetland companion? Theyre somewhat easier to keep due to their size…

Or - is it possible for the other horses in the other field thats too small to graze 3 on, can your field and theirs be opened up to be 1 big field? - if theyre close to each other separated by only fencing - take a section of fence out and use as a ‘gateway’?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
(Laughs hollowly)... Your experience of keeping Shetlands is obviously different to mine!

OP, I would not buy a Shetland. They need super-fencing, electrified as well. They also need less grass than you'd think.

I'm not against individual turnout per-se, but only if the horse is settled to it, which yours obviously isn't. I guess giving the winter turnout a go is fair, with a few hours out alone and see if she settles better, but if not, I would look for alternative livery.

PurBee

Visit site
(Laughs hollowly)... Your experience of keeping Shetlands is obviously different to mine!

OP, I would not buy a Shetland. They need super-fencing, electrified as well. They also need less grass than you'd think.

I'm not against individual turnout per-se, but only if the horse is settled to it, which yours obviously isn't. I guess giving the winter turnout a go is fair, with a few hours out alone and see if she settles better, but if not, I would look for alternative livery.

i knew suggesting shetlands as being somewhat easier than a horse would elicit a response! ?
I just meant size-wise, not needing much feed, small easy to handle (sometimes not!) in relative comparison to horse costs…

Their fencing needs put me off - especially as a shetland from god knows where (im very remote, no horses near) broke out of its home , travelled a fair distance and broke INTO my fields, had a rummage and buggered off again.
3 string electric 10 inches apart put off another shetland from entering.

but theyre sooooo cute! ??

Storminateacup

Visit site

Or - is it possible for the other horses in the other field thats too small to graze 3 on, can your field and theirs be opened up to be 1 big field? - if theyre close to each other separated by only fencing - take a section of fence out and use as a ‘gateway’?
My girl is a clydesdale and needs haylege in winter and good grazing in summer. Shetlands are not suitable as my experience with them is they are escapologists and need restricted diet.

If horses were nearer in fields I don't think it would be a problem.
She does neigh, but no signs of galloping about.

Storminateacup

Visit site

There are two houses and 2 small gardens in between. That is how she can see the other horses in the field behind.
Sometimes one of the other horses goes into the back garden of the owner and then she is nearer to them.

JBM

Visit site
You could buy a donkey? They need little maintenance just hoof trimming but you’d need someone who knows how to do it
Or if your girl likes them you can buy 2 sheep? (Would have to be 2 or more) sheep require very very little maintenance just a clip and a dip once a year..sheep practically live on air they’re so small
My girl has lived with sheep and cows to keep her company before I had two horses
It’s not the same but it makes them feel better