Horse asthma - Nebuliser

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
Does anyone have a horse who has asthma?

My Welsh D got diagnosed with allergy induced asthma this year having never had it before. After several lung washes and tests, he got given a nebuliser where he had 25ml of ventolin and 25ml of Dexoject steroids twice a day. It's worked well and he's about 80% better, his 4th and final lung wash was taken today and it looks crystal clear.

Vet has taken him off the Dexoject now and replaced it with another steroid called Flixotide. I need to carry on with the nebuliser twice per day until it stops being so bad with pollen, dust and seeds.

Am I alone in this debacle or does anyone else have a poor fur baby with asthma?

HorseMad91

Visit site
My aunts horse had asthma caused by an extra pocket of skin in his throat he was on steriods for a while and then had to have a nebuliser twice a day and it use to be horrible having to give him it as he was 16.3 and use to stick his head in the air so I use to have to stand on a stool to give him it but his eventually went away and it was better when he was fit and in work.
Hope he keeps improving

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
Thank you for your reply. Well at least my boy is only 14:2hh so that makes it a bit easier :) I've been riding him and keeping him fit throughout which I think has helped. Encouraging it went away for your aunt's horse though :)

HorseMad91

Visit site
Definitely easier on a smaller horse that or I'm just not very tall lol I think he had to be on a nebuliser for about 7/8 months before he came off of it then he just had it if he was having a bad day :)