Horse behaviour enthusiasts - explain this PLEASE!

Weezy

Visit site
OK so went for a road hack today - I wasnt keen as my ride isnt the best on the roads but the other 2 said that if he wasnt good they would box me in and anyway, our roads are not busy on a Sunday

So off we go, I was on a trekking pony to begin with LOL, we rode in a large rectangle - road 1 - set off at trot, I am in second, we start cantering sideways, so I take the lead, we resume trot and everything is fine

road 2 - walk and trot - he was strong, so I was doing flexion work, shoulder in to both sides, etc, got his attention, everything was fine, absolutely ignored ALL the cars

road 3 - a total dream, rode REALLY nicely along there despite some cars not slowing and it being a spooky road, really enjoyed himself and I did too - relaxed, working through, not at all strong - A star!

Then we turn the corner into road 4, and the wind hits us head on - commence horse from hell - we cantered at walking pace sideways to begin with, I got him back, he was totally in a strop, 4 cars came past and he caprioled
crazy.gif
(they came towards us, not from behind, so there was no suprise), kept trying to throw his quarters into the road and go sideways, got him back again, flexion work, shoulder in again etc - let me just say at NO time were we a danger to road users, ourselves or the other horses, but I was totally shocked by the split second change, more cars, totally fine

Lane back up to yard - 100% fine

So, could face on wind completely change the way a horse is going THAT fast, its as tho someone swopped the horse underneath me on the corner
crazy.gif
He wasnt scared, it was more napping even tho we were going towards home - the only change in circumstance was the wind!

Over to you guys - any thoughts? Only thing I could think was hearing, but we only had issues with cars coming towards us (even those I made stop), no probs with any coming from behind (which I would have thought would be more likely to cause a prob)

(BTW I road hack maybe 4 times a year - we just wanted a change of scene but it just really got me thinking as to what goes on in a horses brain)

princesskelly

Visit site
no good at giving advice weezy.
poppy always jog's sideways and if you put leg on she stropp's and canters on the spot or bunny hops and throws herself about. strange thing is though never feel like your going to lose control just have to sit there and let her get it out of her system. she's good when traffic's about but have been down a couple of ditches cause she throws herself sideways.there is no reason for her to do this.she'll do it on way out from yard or on way back whenever she feels like it.the more i tell her not to the more she does it.so i just sit and let her do it.
so if you do find a answer please pass it on! good luck!

S_N

Visit site
Deffo. the wind! And IME (not as much as some, but more than others) sudden head on wind can change a horse into a complete DEMON!! Also I've always had more problems with traffic coming head on than from behind.

BTW - a pm is winging it's way to you!

Patchwork

Visit site
Could it be that he realised you were heading home when you turned the corner, then relaxed once you got onto the lane to the yard as he felt he was on 'home territory?'

smile.gif

BBs

Visit site
The Wind has so much to do with split personalities....

Take yesterday! Winston, okay so we set off - donkey mode! all okay -waits at the road side to go across to the farm. Walks calmly past all the scary diggers and proceeds fine - up one field has a little trot but decide its actually too deep to continue to turn round and head off to another field - all okay then he stops to have a pee - all fine! until i want to go on - its stopped not moving im just thinking okay youre just taking your time havig a pee = next minute! all four feet off the floor squeeling and bucking like a nutter! NECKSTRAP!!!!!!!!

so i take him home to work off the excess energy hes obviously got! hacking home go to wait at the road it buck and bucks and bucks!! i mean serious stuff
crazy.gif
im now panicing cos of the traffic and me nearly getting dislodged if this continues - i trot him briskly home (about 2 minutes) get int eh school - no wind DONKEY MODE!!!!!

I tell ya! blooming thing

But today! he redeemed himself obviously in the school sheltered from the wind lol

princesskelly

Visit site
very strange animals.life would be so much easier if they could talk! i used to growl at poppy but she's like whatever i'll just do it again.she's like a 4 year old child if you dont say nothing or pull on reins she gives up. i put it down to her just being a idiot!
crazy.gif

spider

community.webshots.com
I had the same thing today . When we hit the wind head on he suddenly went spooky and silly. He,s always worse with traffic coming towards him too. If something worrying is coming from behind he will just stand still until it passes.

tigers_eye

Visit site
I want an NH guru to come on here and tell us where we're all going wrong...... Obviously our horses never want to be gits - they are just trying to tell us something.... (and yes, it will take a lot of convincing to get me to think William is something other than "I want to eat you. Now. Or failing that another horse. And I shall stamp on you if you try to stop me")

sharni

Visit site
because in a very windy environment the horse can hear "everything" from all over the place but cannot work out what is where. doesnt know where the lions are! not supprising they go beserk.

the watcher

Visit site
Good to hear you are practicing your 'airs above the ground'..I would agree with everybody who has suggested it is the wind..I would be inclined to do more road work if possible (in company), eventually he will settle down as it becomes routine

Parkranger

Visit site
Yep - head on wind will make most horses go sideways/backwards any direction but into the wind! Someone told me to put an exercise sheet on during the winter - stops the wind going up the tail apparently! x

debonhorse

Visit site
today I lead my little boy (age 4) out on the shetland, we have only had him 3 weeks(on loan) and when we got him, we were told he is very lazy, never does more than a slow trot and only if pushed.
Well, we got up in the top field, the wind was gale force from behind, suddenly, at a walk, and from nowhere this little pony put his head between his front legs and did a huge buck. Luckily it did not dislodge my son, he thought it was hilarious, but it was definately out of character for this little fella, I too put it down to the wind!!!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The frightened of nothing black and white cob hates the wind, even when turned out in the field and messes sideways when comming in for her tea! The worst was one day when a dead hydranger head came towards her, they obviously eat horses from the hooves upwards!