Horse behaviour question

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
I got my first horse a few months ago. He is stabled 24/7 and I love him to bits but there is something which he does which I don't understand and I wondered if anyone on here with more experience could enlighten me! Basically, when I lead him from his stable across the yard he is usually fairly quiet but whenever he sees or hears another horse which is not from "his yard" he starts to prance around, his tail goes up in the air like a banner and he snorts loudly. He gets quite strong but I can still hold him but I wondered why he does it. He also does it sometimes when I have ridden him in the school and I lead him out if there are horses turned out in the field nearby. I just want to understand more about horses in general and him in particular so sorry if it is a silly question!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I know a few horses that do this - they sort of 'show off' don't they?? Most commonly in the field with that 'we're so startled' look on their faces. Life just becomes terribly exciting.

I wonder if he would do it less is you could turn him out with some friends???

Is that him in your avatar - he's lovely.

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
Yes, that't him - thank you! I would like to have him turned out but my YO has said that we have to wait a bit longer until the fields are ready. I know what you mean about the "showing off" thing - he looks lovely when he is doing it - I wish he carried himself like that when I rode him!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
He'll probably become a little less 'buzzy' when you start turning him out and may well stop alltogether.

How much are you feeding him??

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
He's on ad lib haylage only, no hard feed at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahh no overfeeding then.

Well as long as it doesn't worry you - enjoy your boy
smile.gif
smile.gif

freya_5

Visit site
I think he just wants to go and play! It's a shame the fields aren't ready, I agree that that should stop him doing that. It's good that you can still hold him though!! When will your fields be ready?

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
I'm not sure when the fields will be ready. They are doing major work at the moment and a lot of the ground is dug up ready to put new stables up and also a new outdoor school surface. Some of the other horses are out in fields further away and I think Ollie would love to go and play horse games with the others.

I have been told that he has never ever been turned out in his life though. He has just turned 6. Apparently, they didn't get turned out in Holland where he was imported from. My other horse (which I shared) would have gone totally bonkers if she wasn't turned out so I think Ollie is doing pretty well overall.