Horse being really quite

Kelly1982

Visit site
Hi guys

Just wanted your words of encouragement really and maybe a slap to tell me to stop worrying.

Saturday was a bit of an eventful day for me and Senza, i clipped her (only 2nd time ever and 1st time this year), i changed her bedding over to straw from shavings and i got a hay delivery from someone i dont usually use.

Since then she has been really quite and seems a bit depressed
frown.gif
She has even been really quite when she is being ridden and she is usually a little nutter. She is still eating her dinner and scraps for it at dinner time but she is leaving most of her hay (but it is really rubbish quality to what she is used to). She hasn't been eating her bed either so its not like she is bloated or anything. I have been soaking her hay and it seems to have helped a bit but not much. She is only eating 2 wedges at the max when she usually eats 4/5 and leaves no traces of it.

To everyone else she seems normal but you know when you can just tell that she is not herself. She is usually jumping around and fidgeting and is full of the joys of spring but in the past week i have hardly heard a peep out of her.

I'm not sure if i am just worrying for nothing, what do you guys think?

Alibear

Visit site
I'd check her gum colour to see if she's showing any signs or anemia which could mean shes got some sort of virus.

If she generally ok just quiet I'd try and give her an easy week and see if I could find some nicer hay.

If after a week she was still the same I'd be getting the vet to take a blood test to see if she does have a virus.

(in reality I'd have the vet there today but then I am 100% paranoid)

Kelly1982

Visit site
What should i be looking out for in her gum colour then if she has a virus (sorry to sound thick but never had to check gums before).

I have been trying to called the hay suppliers all day as this happened to me when i ordered off them ages ago and they came out and swapped if for some fresh stuff but i cant get hold of them.

I am going away all weekend and i am quite worried about her, my friend is looking after her and although i know she is in good hands my friend doesn't know her like i do and i am worried she wont pick up on things that i would if that makes sense.

My friend brought her in for me the other day and didn't notice she had a massive gash down her leg
confused.gif

Alibear

Visit site
pale gums is a sign of anemia thing is you really need to know what colour they normall are for this check to work.

Has she been quiet since the gash , she could possibly have picked up an infection from that.

Horses do seem to get a lot of viruses now a days and to be honest the vet's usually just say rest them for a while so you are possibly better trying that first and saving your pennies.

Are you 100% certain she's not muching her straw though? As that was deffo first thought on reading your post.

Kelly1982

Visit site
No the gash happened not the weekend just gone but the weekend before that and she has been quite since saturday.

She did have a little much on her straw the first night but since then i haven't seen her touch it. She is also in about an hour before i get there and my friend hasn't noticed it either. Plus i have only put in 2 wedges since Saturday and she still has a massive bed so it dont seem to be going down either.

I am away Friday-Monday so i may give her that time off and see what she is like when i get back.

My first thought was a virus but then i though maybe all the changes in one day has upset her a bit.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
In reference to gum colour; if she will let you, press a finger gently again a fleshy part of her gums (usually under the top lip is the easiest i find - leave the pressure on for a few seconds.

When you release the pressure, there should be a faint pale mark where your thumb or finger has been. This should recolour very quickly.

If theres no noticeable difference, then it can be a sign that she's a bit "pale". Its a useful trick to give you some idea
laugh.gif

Can you get her hay switched back? She's obviously not impressed with the new stuff. Other than that, id just keep an eye on her for a couple of days and go from there.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Thanks for that, i will give that a go tonight.

I have been trying to ring the hay suppliers to swap the hay but i cant get through to them. I might see if my friend will let me buy some off of her as thats the stuff i usually get and then get the rubbish stuff taken back.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
You could always take her temperature too... fluctuations there are usually the best early indicator of a problem.

Whats your relationship like with your vet? Can you call them and just have a chat and get their opinion? My vets are great and are always happy to talk to their clients on the phone regarding any concerns.

Rambo

Visit site
I'd get the hay sorted first tbh. It's probably just that...

It wouldn't do any harm to pump some Propell Plus or Red Cell into her too. That would mitigate any anaemia she might have. It won't do any harm either way
smile.gif

samp

Visit site
Keep an eye on temperature, also change the hay. If still no improvement the vet can run a basic blood screen

Kelly1982

Visit site
I can call my vet and just have a chat with them, they are quite good like that.

Thing is i know vets makes something out of nothing half the time and i dont want to end up with a massive vet bill if they insist on coming out when its just me being paranoid.

Benn trying to call the hay supplier all lunchtime and still cant get through
mad.gif
I hope thats all it is. I have had enough vets bills to save me a life time.

fjudge

Visit site
Maybe shes just going through winter depression!! Some horses dont like the cold
frown.gif
hehe

Try not to worry too much, but do all that you before getting the vet out. Like others have said, propell, vits, etc... she may just be feeling a little down in the dumps.

Hope she cheers up soon
smile.gif
x

Petrie

Visit site
She might be lacking in energy because she's not eating as much hay, and it's worse quality! A bit like if you went from eating lots of nice, luscious, healthy food, to a bit of old, dry, dusty bread!

She could be conserving her energy because she thinks her food source has suddenly diminished!

Also, if the hay is horrible and dusty/mouldy, it might be affecting her breathing, which can make them feel off colour.