Horse 'bellowing' at people/livestock when hacking

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else has a horse that 'bellows' loudly when they meet something they are uncertain of out hacking? It is almost a harsh 'bark' similar to the noise a muntjac deer makes.
We usually hack alone - if the yard staff hack him then they go out in pairs and he doesn't do it with them.
I'm sure he is mostly reacting to me, probably as I unconsiously hold my breath, but the reaction seems unusual. For example, we were hacking along the road as several children started shouting and running downhill along a footpath towards us. I was concerned he would spook but he stopped and looked at them and 'bellowed' loudly. As I've regained my balance and confidence (and ability to breath while riding!) after a hip replacement he doesn't do this as often as a few months ago, just now and again. His default with me is to stop and look, he does spook but only occasionally. His reaction seems to be a way of 'seeing off' any potential danger?
Any insights or experience of similar reactions would be interesting thanks :)

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
Yes. I know a youngster who did this from a young age at in hand shows and for his first year under saddle.

It stopped once he became more confident.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
One of my horses made a strange sound when she was young. It was a cross between a snort, a cough and a bark. I never knew if the sound was from her nose or mouth as she only did it when I was riding alone. Her daughter also did it few times when she was very green.

Tash88

Visit site
Mine has only done it a handful of times, when he is super excited / nervous about something. His body goes really tense and his tail goes up as well, it's a bit unnerving! There is always a reason for it though, he did it the other day when I was leading him in from the field and he noticed a loose horse in the distance that shouldn't have been there.

Lady Jane

Visit site
Do you mean 'dragon noises' they make when really over excited (normally in the field) or when nervous of something? Some horses nevre do anywhere and some do far too regularly! Its quite un-nerving if you are riding them at the time! Tail up, body rigid, nostrils flaired

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Yes. I know a youngster who did this from a young age at in hand shows and for his first year under saddle.

It stopped once he became more confident.

One of my horses made a strange sound when she was young. It was a cross between a snort, a cough and a bark. I never knew if the sound was from her nose or mouth as she only did it when I was riding alone. Her daughter also did it few times when she was very green.

Thank-you - I definitely think this due to his lack of confidence in my riding. He doesn't do this with his professional rider, although I have seen him spook and spin very occasionally with her, usually at competitions where there is a huge amount going on. In most ways he is totally solid - for example only looking with mild interest at a huge livestock transporter full of sheep when we met it on a single track road the other day!

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Mine has only done it a handful of times, when he is super excited / nervous about something. His body goes really tense and his tail goes up as well, it's a bit unnerving! There is always a reason for it though, he did it the other day when I was leading him in from the field and he noticed a loose horse in the distance that shouldn't have been there.
Do you mean 'dragon noises' they make when really over excited (normally in the field) or when nervous of something? Some horses nevre do anywhere and some do far too regularly! Its quite un-nerving if you are riding them at the time! Tail up, body rigid, nostrils flaired

His behaviour is a bit different from when something exciting is happening. He is usually quite calm and even if other horses are hoolying around he often ignores them. I think it is something peculiar to me and him - although he feels a bit tense his tail doesn't go up and he stands absolutely solid - just makes a very loud harsh noise. It is mostly directed at people and cattle etc. Other odd things such as an abandoned car bumper in a hedge or a life-size plastic cow (!) have resulted in some quiet snorting but he then touched the object with his nose.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

My Arab's do this if your riding they feel like they have grown a hand and some horses I have hacked with get quite scared of them, they look really impressive on the lunge though and they really should know better as they are 16 and 17 and still enjoy doing it.

PSD

Visit site

my welsh dragon does this when the leaves change colour in the bushes ? very scary apparently….

J&S

Visit site
I thought they did it if they sense danger, this might be real or imagined! My mare can do it, just have to sit tight and kick on.

I don’t like mondays

Visit site
Just found this post as my horse does this too, except he doesn’t do this in response to anyone just in the middle of a field hacking alone weirdly. We’re not used to hacking on our own so both getting used to it. I’m hoping he’ll stop doing this. It takes me by surprise and is rather loud haha

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
My Exmoor does it-it isn’t a normal snort, more a higher up bark noise.the sound really carries but only happens when there is something highly exciting/unusual is occurring.