Horse bending his head to the near side a lot

vivhewe

Visit site
When I'm riding my boy he's started to bend his head to the left (so near side) and still walk forwards, but he ends up walking sideways
crazy.gif

If I squeeze lightly on the right rein to straighten him he simply turns to the right, no matter how much leg I use on either side to try and straighten him. He only does it sometimes (usually when he wants to go in one direction and I want him to go straight) but it's getting annoying.

I've tried riding corners on him so he'd bend to the right and actually flex to the right but he just looks to the left instead
frown.gif

Thing is he doesn't do it all the time and so I don't think it could be a back problem with him. His teeth and saddle have all been sorted recently.

Any suggestions?

miamibear

Visit site
Riding shoulder in on the right rein.

Doing lateral exercises so he respects your leg and bends off it when you put it on.

You may find forcing him to bend his head to the right when he doesnt want to i.e when he is napping to go left causes him to fall out of his left shoulder so you must support the left side wth your rein and leg to stop this from happening.

I would insist he didnt bend his head to the left by a sharp bend to the right with the rein and a tap with the right leg and whip if necessary, he needs to listen to you. I wouldnt let him get away with it, its bad manners.

They are just my opinions and what i would do.

Hope that helps a bit!

miamibear

Visit site
P.S My answer relates to if its a mental problem i.e he does it to nap when he wants to do his own thing.

If he was constantly wanting to bend to the left i would have it checked out by the physio

vivhewe

Visit site
He isn't constantly though
frown.gif
When I ride down the field away from the gate he's fine, but if I ride across for example he is bending to the left so he can go to the gate.

Only thing now is how do I work out this shoulder in lark?

Oaksflight

Visit site
Sounds like a muscle/back thing. Session with the physio would sort him. Mine favours his right hand side due to his muscle build up, physio has given us exercises to help with him though!

SunSmile

Visit site
My mare did something similar. She was never displayed any other symptoms or showed any pain, but i got her checked out in case with an osteopath. It turned out she just had a few verteraes out of place so 3 sessions later she is right as rain now. So it may be worth having an osteopath or physio look at you horse?
(edited for spelling!!)