horse bit my ear!

mandwhy

Visit site
I went to see my friends new horse today, I spent some time hanging out with him and gave him strokes, he is cautious but seemed happy with this and I gave him some carrots.

He had gotten into the wrong part of the field so we lured him round with a bucket of food as he is obviously scared of the headcollar/rope. I suspect he has been roughly handled or had one forced on him at some point.

I put the food on a bale of hay and he knocked it over, I picked it up for him and at some point where I was bent down facing away from him he lunged at my ear and bit it, splitting it and making it bleed a lot :-(

He is not gelded yet and is only rising 2 but had not shown any nippy behaviour so far, do we think it was just that I was near the food? He seemed alarmed at the red bucket at first as I don't think he has had hard feed before.

It was definitely aggressive and he gave no warning, my friend said it was vicious!

I'm not sure what to think really, wont hold it against him but glad my horses don't do such things! I wonder if he will do it again?

It hurt, a lot!

Last edited:

HBM1

Visit site
I agree sorry..and glad you won't hold it against him. You are lucky not to lose the ear to be honest.

Montyforever

Visit site
I had this with a roughly handled mare, I was putting on fly spray and she wasn't happy but there was no aggression until I accidentally cornered her and she launched at me. Really nasty and aggressive bite but she had never done it before or since!

Foxhunter49

Visit site
You sound as if you are not really experienced with horses.
This is a young colt that will have coltish behaviour (nipping and biting being one of them)
I can assure you that he would have given warning with body language before biting you but, you did not read it.

I bet your ear is sore but it will heal! Make sure you are up to date with a tetanus jab.

Good on you for not holding it against the horse.
Hope he has his operation soon!