Horse blood donors

leskaneen

Visit site
Hi
Anyone know anything about horse blood bank\donor scheme. Vet has suggested friends horse be a blood donor coz it can t be ridden & she d like to find out more-google not much help !
Thanks Guys

Kelly1982

Visit site
Think there is one is Scotland.

Only problem is though i rung up to find out if i could send my horse there and they said they didn't have any vacancies.

That was over a year ago though so worth a try

equibabe20

Visit site
I'd personally never send my horse to be a blood donor as where I work we've got 2 ex-donar ponies and they are in an awful state. When they arrived they were pretty much wild no one could get near them, their terrified of people, terrified of the vet, scared of everything really. They only now trust one person and the slightest little thing sets them back. This may just be a particularly bad case but i personally wouldn't go down that route.

nicnag

Visit site
The one is scotland is based near Falkirk, it is called burnbank farm. They were advertising for horses a few weeks ago. They take horses over 15 hands and between 6 and 18 years I think ( or roughly about there!). I have a friend who worked there for a bit and the horses are well enough looked after. I wouldn't say they were pandered to but they live out in herd groups and have a pretty natural life - no pulled manes or shoes!
I can look up the contact details if you like?

zulu705

Visit site
I live near it actually. My friends horse went there a few years ago but it didn't get on with the blood giving bit and so he took it back. Place looked good though, horses living in a herd in large fields with big barn for feeding and shelter.

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
My friend works for a company in Penrith that does the plasma for horses, they ahve a closed herd and I did ask them about taking Beau for a year, only to find out that horses CANNOT be released back into the general population and MUST be PTS!
frown.gif

But then they also do research into infectious deseases (she is working on Foal diseases at the mo)