Horse box choice/dos and don'ts.

Limbo1

Visit site
Not been on in a while but I need the collective knowledge of this group please.

I am seriously considering upgrading from a Frelander and ifor 505 to a lorry.

I am looking at a 5.2t to a compact 7.5, our lane is narrow as is turn into drive.
These are the things I think I want;
Living for 2, enought to make tea, change and occasional overnight. No loo.
Capable to carring 17hh plus 15hh. Mostly be used for 15hh to PC but payload bare min 1.5 t
Prefer forward or rear facing due to sizes of horses.

Budget will be up to £20k I think.
What else do I need to think about? Neither me or OH are mechanically minded.
TIA

Spottyappy

Visit site
I have had 2 forward facing 7.5t boxes, both with side load. It worked really well and the horses travelled well.
Do get an independent check by someone who is not only a mechanic but knows horses, so that the horse area can be fully checked for safety.
if possible, look for one which has the leisure batteries charging from when the engine runs, as it stops them going flat so quickly. Plus, a Solar panel to trickle charge them if poss, but you can always add that.
these vehicles do need regular use, without that they cost a fortune, and I sold mine because of this, it was costing me several thousand pounds on a too frequent basis because I only used it once a month or so.

Limbo1

Visit site
I have had 2 forward facing 7.5t boxes, both with side load. It worked really well and the horses travelled well.
Do get an independent check by someone who is not only a mechanic but knows horses, so that the horse area can be fully checked for safety.
if possible, look for one which has the leisure batteries charging from when the engine runs, as it stops them going flat so quickly. Plus, a Solar panel to trickle charge them if poss, but you can always add that.
these vehicles do need regular use, without that they cost a fortune, and I sold mine because of this, it was costing me several thousand pounds on a too frequent basis because I only used it once a month or so.
Thanks, we are out once a week minimum. This time a year twice with lessons and competitions.

Fred66

Visit site
If you are looking to carry 2 horses then I would say you need a payload of 1800
By the time you add fuel, tack, 2 people, water any other bits then this would leave you just under 1500 for the horses and a bit of wriggle room.
Everyone recommends tilt cab, to keep repair bills down and personally I would want a cut through if possible.
As you have a 17hh then I would also either want the tack locker cutting into the living rather than horse area, or no external tack locker. Gives more space for the horses and also less likelihood of horse damaging interior or itself
Good luck
Ramp that is safe for one person to lift either powered or well sprung

Last edited:

Cowpony

Visit site
Decide if you want a full length divider between the horses or not. For me it was non-negotiable from a safety perspective but there are an awful lot of lorries out there that don't have it. I was also sure that I wanted a collapsible breast bar and a good metal floor. 6.5t lorries seem to have the best payload. Mine has about 2.3t, whereas some 7.5t lorries only have 1.5t because people have used a lot on the living.

A reversing camera and horse area camera make life a lot easier, but you can add them if the lorry doesn't have them already.

Once you've found one, check the plating history online. That will show you what's gone wrong in the past.

Make sure you have a reserve for repairs. There's always something that needs to be replaced or repaired!

Nicnac

Visit site
Payload payload payload. Ideally 2t

Personally don't like side loading boxes as they take up too much room when parking's tight at competitions.

No tack lockers in horse area.

Would definitely go for a loo.

Horse dividers with rubber on bottom down to floor.

But as you're buying second hand you may have to compromise on some things.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
Most important is a easy fully tiltable cab as otherwise it will cost you a fortune to service and also difficult to make roadside repairs.
Get the floor and ramp checked both from the top and underside and remember that an aluminium floor will rot as well.
Make sure that you carry a new spare wheel and tyre, several fire extinguishers, a first aid kit and torch with spare batteries and Hi-Viz jackets.
... and also get roadside recovery such as from the Organisation of Horsevox and Trailer Owners just in case you break down.

humblepie

Visit site
As above, trusted mechanic to check over, tilt cab makes for happier mechanic, get horse floor etc checked. Check that you can easily manage ramp (although it is amazing what some adjustment and grease can do to make the ramp easier). Get a weighbridge certificate - or if it has one find out if that was with full tank of fuel etc. You can generally use weighbridges at places like scrap yards. Also drive it and get a good feel for it. Some lorries feel like they wallow and not very stable. Happy searching.

eggs

Visit site
For me I hate tack lockers that protrude into the horse area. Also hate tack lockers that are too small. Make sure you can put two saddles and bridles in.

Ramp that I can put up on my own.

Good ventilation in the horse area - I like to have pop up roof vents in addition to the windows.