Horse box costs - just mooting an idea :D

**Vanner**

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm toying with the idea of getting myself a box as opposed to my trailer. I have grandmother rights on my license so can go up to a 7.5T, which I would be happy to drive. Hubby has HGV but I would want one I can take out on my own if necessary.

Could anyone help me with ball park figures of cost of running them? I.e tax, insurance etc.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
I think my tax is £130 quid a year - I dont know without looking at as hubby usually pays.

My insurance with seperate recovery vehcilce for the horses (in case of a breakdown or accident) is with the NFU and I think that is about £450 a year - but looking to move as it keeps going up,

Then you need it plating - bascially a MOT for the box - and I have NO idea how much this costs as hubby sorts that out.
Mine is a DAF 45 - only a few years old - so not much maintanace

Louby

Visit site
Hi,
Im on my 3rd wagon, going older each time, mainly as it hurt to see so much money stood there not doing an awful lot, so I have expected to spend a bit, making sure its safe, although Ive spent on all of them at first (minor things thankfully) as unless your really lucky, I think most have quirks and faults (maybe reasons for selling in the first place???)
MOT was just under £100, my insurance for any driver over 25 is with KBIS and is about £160 fully comp, with breakdown about the same. Tax is about £160 I think.
My horse will not entertain a trailer, so its a must have for me, if I want to go anywhere.

JBP

Visit site
I have 3.5 tone which I drive on my car license. It's £220 tax a year £300 insurance a year and I think I had mot and service for £125. It's old but in good nick x

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Tax on a 7.5 ton horsebox, taxed as private is £165.00, same as a normal car. MOT prices differs at different testing stations but a 7.5 ton can be up to £125.00.

As for insurance, that again can differ a lot but you can get an online quote from several sites, below is just one. You can incorporate recovery in most & that is a must really.

http://www.anthonydevans.co.uk/insurance/horsebox

Lorry's are thirsty on fuel, you will probably get around 16 mpg, possibly a little more, depending on the engine & age of vehicle.

Parts are expensive & lorry mechanics are quite expensive as well. When you own a lorry you normally start to collect telephone numbers of breakers yards where you can get used parts.